I thought that Chickens dont lay in the Winter

• 12 Replies

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
I thought that Chickens dont lay in the Winter
« on: December 11, 2010, 16:44 »
Well most of you have been there and you can imagine the smile and grin on my face when i went to check my girls this evening,there it was an egg :) my very first,so i checked the nest box and there was another :lol: :lol:

Looking at the eggs,i think that one may be from the Silkie as it is more of a bantam size,and as for the other well it could be one of 6.

Fried egg banjo for breakfast tommorrow !!!!!!!!

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: I thought that Chickens dont lay in the Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 16:49 »
 :) There's definitely something special about getting your first eggs!  I have only had my girls a while and when they first began laying, i was amazed every day!  Have to say, that's only been a month, but I am still excited when I go to check!  ;)

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 17:30 »
The bantie sized egg could be from any of them. Youngsters can lay all sorts of weird shaped and sized eggs to start, some without shell, some without yolk even. 
Laugh at my ignorance, but what is a fried egg banjo?

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 17:44 »
Well done to your hen for laying her 1st egg hopefully more to come, what a its a great feeling when its your 1st egg. This is my 2nd year with my Orpingtons girls and they are not laying because of them moulting and one of my Friesian started had her 1st egg 3 days ago and has had her 2nd egg today now waiting for the other Friesian to start and for the Barnevelda girls to start.  :happy: Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 18:12 »
Even after many years of hen keeping I still leave egg collecting as the last job in the afternoon just because I love to see what variety of eggs are waiting for me and the anticipation is lovely but those first eggs truly are the best.

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 18:24 »
Does anyone else thank each of their girlies for laying when egg collecting, with words of comiseration and encouragement to those who havent managed that day? 

My OH thinks I am STARK RAVING BONKERS, but we girls enjoy our girlie chats. As my egg production days are over, I reassure them that they have a forever home with us whatever  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

The cockerels too seem so proud when their lady has laid.

I can't save egg collecting until later in the day, as I have so many silkies....you know what they are like, one look at an unattended egg and they just have to claim it, and then go broody for the next 2 months!   :mad:  I try to collect ASAP

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 19:45 »
It's a good job the lady next door to me has hens, we are both bonkers about our girls

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 23:04 »
Does anyone else thank each of their girlies for laying when egg collecting, with words of comiseration and encouragement to those who havent managed that day? 

My OH thinks I am STARK RAVING BONKERS, but we girls enjoy our girlie chats. As my egg production days are over, I reassure them that they have a forever home with us whatever  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

The cockerels too seem so proud when their lady has laid.

I can't save egg collecting until later in the day, as I have so many silkies....you know what they are like, one look at an unattended egg and they just have to claim it, and then go broody for the next 2 months!   :mad:  I try to collect ASAP

Yep...same here, I always thank them individually, i know which egg comes from each hen(8)

And yes the missus knows I'm bonkers   :tongue2:

Big Bird

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 17:46 »
In answer to the original question hybrids will lay most of the year regardless of what time of year it is.

BB

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 19:51 »
In answer to the original question hybrids will lay most of the year regardless of what time of year it is.

BB

only for the first couple of years and then they will slow up and even stop over winter.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dreamer@45

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 18:43 »

only for the first couple of years and then they will slow up and even stop over winter.

And when that happens my six hybrids go straight into a stock pot to make loverleey stew Yum, And then I get another six! Hooray! :D

Junie

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 19:20 »
Mine laid their first eggs in September last year and laid well all last year during the winter.  This year they have had their first moult which has affected their laying, I am getting 3 eggs from 9 birds although I am waiting for the first eggs from 3 of this years chicks, so hopefully they will make up for the others.  It seems to me that winter did not affect the newer layers but does in the second year.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 19:22 »
I havent had ANY eggs for about 2 weeks, Even had to buy some this week :(

xx
In the cold weather(Winter?) Do you allow your chickens out of there coop?

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 09:44
by Springlands
xx
I thought I was being silly

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 19:48
by Oliveview
xx
Thought I'd be kind...

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 15:17
by wildwitchy
xx
Thought one of our hens was dead!

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 21:51
by grinling

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 36 queries.