Greenhouse snagging.......

• 5 Replies

Slowgrind

Greenhouse snagging.......
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:10 »
Have at last got my very own GH. built, anchored, glazed and filling up with seedlings!
I do have some problems with the door though. I wondered if anyone could offer some suggestions?
First the rollers on the top of the door catch the heads of the bolts that protrude into the guide channel making for very klunky opening and closing.
Second, the frame is plum but the door is not hanging square to the frame? I have tried tweeking the fixing bolts that pass through the rollers to get the door to hang vertical but after a few slides of the door it goes back to its earlier position?
Last there is a good gap between the door and frame. Are any of the rubber gaskets universal for door frames? Mines an ancient AGL GH. The front edges of the door frame have a channel that looks like it could have had a rubber seal in it at sometime.
Thanks for reading, even if you have no suggestions. BC.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse snagging.......
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:00 »
I'm slightly baffled by your door problems as mine doesn't have any bolt heads to run over; are they larger than originally used? (Can only suggest you look at a few other examples for clues.)

The door drop on mine is adjusted using the nuts securing the door to the rollers and once everything is tightened up I can't see why it should change (the securing nut on mine is a "nyloc" nut.)  I lubricated the rollers and inside the channel with Waxoyl which also should do a good job of preventing any corrosion.

As for the door seal, mine consists of two plastic-backed strips of nylon "brush" which simply slides into channels in the two door frame uprights (I say "simply"; I had to remove the door to gain access to the tops of the channels!  :mad: )

Probably not the sort of thing you can expect to find in most garden centres but a greenhouse retailer should have something suitable.

Sorry I can't be more specific; I can only comment about how mine went together as it's the only one I've ever had!  :)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:50 »
This may be what you are looking for, http://www.gcraft.co.uk/purchase/153/Draught_Excluder_EX3_Pair.html

Sounds like you need to pack one corner of the greenhouse up to level the top and bottom tracks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:01 »
 :lol: :lol: that's the stuff!
I had that in my new greenhouse 'also doubles as a door stop'........I took one side of mine out again because it did stop the door................ but before it was properly closed  :ohmy:  :nowink:

Bobby

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 20:57 »
Just a thought. On some of the G/Hs I have rebuilt the wheels have a groove in middle of the circumference and are meant to run on the outside edge of the top alloy profile rather than in the more obvious channel. Hope this helps.     Bob.

Slowgrind

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 17:54 »
Thanks all! I've discovered that the roller bolts are different sizes. One goes through a large hole with a lot of play, the other fills the hole and has a couple of mm. larger bolt that I think is lifting one end of the door to high! I'll fettle it at the weekend.
All is working well inside!! Rudbekia showing after two days!!!

xx
Where To Put The Greenhouse

Started by Milly on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 18:52
by Milly
xx
My new greenhouse

Started by noshed on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2018, 13:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Old Greenhouse

Started by Fluff on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:09
by richyrich7
xx
my new greenhouse

Started by new_2_veg on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 16:58
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 41 queries.