Chitting root crops.

• 8 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Chitting root crops.
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:51 »
Having success with parsnips, are there any other root crops that respond well to chitting on damp paper?

Cheers,  Tony. :unsure:
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Chitting root crops.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 17:16 »
As you probably know I am a MASSIVE fan of pre-chitting after reading an Amish farmers article and most hard seeds this way.
I have done most brassicas, carrots, parsnips all sorts, I have just transplanted my celeriac and within a week they are all up and in pots, the list is endless onions, leeks loads however dont pre chit beans as I believe they are prone to disease if done.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 17:19 »
Thanks for that Aidy, and I've just started runner and french beans!  I shall monitor the situation.

Cheers.  Tony.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 17:33 »
I've successfully chitted runner, French and broad beans, but you do need to be very careful because, as Aidy has mentioned, they readily succumb to fungal infections if kept too wet.

Most reliable way for me is to soak them for a few hours in tepid water, then arrange them on damp kitchen paper in a sandwich box so they're not touching each other, cover with more kitchen paper, put lid on.
Keep the paper no more than damp (if it looks wet, it's too wet!)

(Why chit beans? Combination of sometimes using old seed, and a low boredom threshold when it comes to making paper pots!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 19:52 »
Always amazes me how easily bean seeds can succumb to fungi when trying to grow for food but cough, cough years ago we always had success at school with a jam jar and saturated blotting paper!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 21:10 »
Always amazes me how easily bean seeds can succumb to fungi when trying to grow for food but cough, cough years ago we always had success at school with a jam jar and saturated blotting paper!

Yes, 50+ years ago, but remembered even better than yesterday!  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 21:20 »
Mrs Growster successfully chitted twelve chilli plants from seed she carefully extracted from two-year-old fruit!

They're in the GH now, in new compost, covered and looking quite happy, but like cucumbers, may well have a plan to pop off at any time...

Jiskoot

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 21:22 »
I've just done my spinach this way, worked really well!  :)

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 22:19 »
It worked brilliantly with the loofah seeds I accidentally left soaking for three days (I forgot them!) and meant I could just plant up the growers. I believe they have a poor germination rate, and hate being transplanted, but they all grew on really well after germinating in the water.

I may chit some parsnips, but I also wondered about direct sowing some under my pea arch. They take such an age to get going, that the peas will probably be done with before the parsnips really need the light.

xx
Root crops and compost

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 21:32
by Snowboar
xx
Opinions please - root crops

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 09:49
by paintedlady
xx
Green Manure and Root Crops!

Started by Dirty Fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:59
by DD.
xx
Soil preparation for root crops.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 13:01
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 40 queries.