Happy Thanksgiving!

• 7 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Happy Thanksgiving!
« on: November 25, 2021, 11:39 »
In the States, today is our Thanksgiving holiday (fourth Thursday in November) . I know it isn't celebrated worldwide, but I think it is really one of our best holidays. It is a time to gather together with family and/or friends and celebrate everything that we are thankful for.

We celebrate with a really good meal, which in our family we cook together. We'll have turkey with stuffing, squash casserole, potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin and pecan pie.

I'm thankful for all my friends here, and will be thinking of you today while I'm making pumpkin pie.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 12:07 »
Enjoy your Thanksgiving.
Here in the UK when I was a child we used to celebrate Harvest festival on the Sunday nearest to the harvest moon. More people went to church, in those days, and we decorated them with all manner of veg, flowers and sheaves of corn and bread made in the same shape. People also gave any tinned or jarred food they could spare and everything would be parcelled out and given to people in need locally. We always had a good roast that day to make it extra special  :)
It never became a national holiday though, and seems, sadly, to have all but disappeared nowadays  :(

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 13:43 »
that sounds like a really nice day celebrating with family and friends sharing a traditional meal together what could be better just read your topic makes my mouth water of all those goodies and to celebrate everything your thankful for is a real meaning for celebrating I like your choice of words because it shows your appreciation for what you've got

so I hope you all have a very nice day over there  from us here in sunny but cold Northamtonshire England

and  Mum I think you put that reply very well something I fully agree with sadly all that traditional celebration  of harvest festival has all disappeared from our village  some years ago now  :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 14:20 »
I loved Harvest Festival in church because it gave one the opportunity to bring veg and flowers and be thankful for all that nature has provided. I remember when I was about six or seven my dad gave me a marrow to take up to the altar steps. Unfortunately it was rather a big and heavy one and I dropped it half way there,, much to the amusement of the congregation.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 18:21 »
Happy Thanksgiving Subs, hope you have a lovely day celebrating with family & friends.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 20:59 »
Happy Thanksgiving with your family - have a lovely time  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 22:13 »

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 06:44 »
Been here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Plantation

You can almost 'feel' what went on all those years ago! It's a beautiful building!

xx
Thanksgiving - my favorite US holiday

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 06:12
by Growster...
clip
Happy New

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 12:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Happy Diwali

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2021, 23:18
by Aunt Sally
xx
Happy Valley

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2023, 21:10
by greenjay

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 48 queries.