New Plot Novice

• 8 Replies

kixintro

New Plot Novice
« on: March 05, 2010, 22:12 »
Hi, I've just acquired an allotment - wohoo! - long wait and wasn't expecting a call for some months. The plot is one of a number of reclaimed old allotments that were overgrown with brambles and have been top cleared with a JCB leaving some roots. I intend to dig it over rather than rotivate having read the advice on that but would like advice on what to realistically achieve this spring bearing in mind I can only work on the plot at weekends. I'm keen to get growing but don't want to plant things without enough preparation? Could I plant potatoes as I dig areas of the plot - thinking it will help prep areas as you dig em in and dig em out? How much manure etc should I add?

davmabz

Re: New Plot Novice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 23:01 »
hi well I,m no expert, but I know what I would do, hire a rotovator get the whole plot done and worry about the weeds later, I,m sure lots of experts will disagree, but thats life.

good luck :lol:

craggy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 23:26 »
Hi, I've just acquired an allotment - wohoo! - long wait and wasn't expecting a call for some months. The plot is one of a number of reclaimed old allotments that were overgrown with brambles and have been top cleared with a JCB leaving some roots. I intend to dig it over rather than rotivate having read the advice on that but would like advice on what to realistically achieve this spring bearing in mind I can only work on the plot at weekends. I'm keen to get growing but don't want to plant things without enough preparation? Could I plant potatoes as I dig areas of the plot - thinking it will help prep areas as you dig em in and dig em out? How much manure etc should I add?

Don,t rush,do it bit by bit,but dig it thoroughly.Don,t use a rotovator,it won't do it deep enough or properly.Spuds are a good start,cleans up the ground.You don,t need always to buy manure,some people are happy for you to take it away.Get all you can,but let it rot down first,don,t be tempted to put it on fresh.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:26 »
Cover the geound with some sheeting to block the light, then as needed uncover and dig away it worked for me last year and this year i got a whiole plot that i can dig over in no time,  Im just starting on plot 2 hahahahha same thing again.
Thanks
Kris

kixintro

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 17:06 »
Cover the geound with some sheeting to block the light, then as needed uncover and dig away it worked for me last year and this year i got a whiole plot that i can dig over in no time,  Im just starting on plot 2 hahahahha same thing again.

Thanks for the advice - Others at allotment site offered same tip -just got to track down some carpet or similar to cover it. - Having just had first session of digging I now have a better idea of how much I can dig in one go and I think if I can get half a workable plot Ill be able to take time with other half!   

digalotty

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 17:18 »
get them spuds in mate and then plant as you dig and dont worry about doing the whole plot leave some for next year  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 19:16 »

Thanks for the advice - Others at allotment site offered same tip -just got to track down some carpet or similar to cover it. - Having just had first session of digging I now have a better idea of how much I can dig in one go and I think if I can get half a workable plot Ill be able to take time with other half!   

Please don't use carpet, kixintro.

Even if not specifically banned on your site, it contains toxins which can leach into the soil, it will either rot into small pieces or grass will grow through it (we have one member who put his back up trying to lever it up in this situation), and it is not nice to try to dispose of it once muddy, disintegrating, wet etc.

As Kris says, use sheeting or other stuff like cardboard.  Please  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 19:31 »
I agree with what Digalotty said above.

I got a half plot a few months ago. A bit weedy but not overgrown to knee-level. One of the guys on the allotment advised me to dig as I planted. Which is exactly what I am doing - and as a total novice this suits me lovely.

He said that a lot of folk come in and try to clear the lot in one go and get disheartened, because it is just solid slog and digging. He also told me that in his first year he only got a third of his plot cleared, planted and sorted so not to try and do everything all at once but at my own pace.

But if you dig as you plant you get a lot more satisfaction out of it straight away.
I've now got half of mine cleared - I dug over the area for the spuds this weekend and am hoping to pop my earlies in in the next week or two. :)

Congrats on the new plot, it's great when you finally get your lottie!

Joolz

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 20:01 »
All sound advice.  I wouldn't bother with manure this year if the site has lain fallow for a year or two, it won't need it.  I did taters and leeks, peas and parnsips in my first year on the half that I cleared (my plot was a jungle in its previous life) - and I only visited the plot at weekends and the odd Thursday morning!

Happy growing - and be prepared to become and addict! :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

xx
PSB how and when....novice

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 19:41
by Paul Plots
xx
Need help complete novice

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 15:39
by Minty
xx
Garlic novice.

Started by campanologist on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 15:17
by Fisherman
xx
a little of advice for a novice please.

Started by k4t1e195 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:20
by k4t1e195

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 28 queries.