Really Silly Question

• 8 Replies

Kelly1976

Really Silly Question
« on: September 15, 2008, 19:14 »
Hi all,

I have arranged carpet, have a small mountain of cardboard and am ready to cover my plot to get rid of all the nasty weeds.  But, and here comes the really stupid question...can I lay the carpet etc on undug ground or do I dig over and then cover.  
 :?   :oops:

Thanks

DIGGER

Really Silly Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 19:47 »
Yes it is a silly question ,but we all ask them.
Looking at your previous post it appears that you have a new plot.
I would suggest that you dig at least half the plot,digging in manure before you cover.
This will make it a lot easier when you get on your plot early next year.
Its going to be a nice week weather wise, so give those tummy muscles  a workout.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Really Silly Question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 21:39 »
I don't think it's a silly question!  At least you're getting prepared, and it's a good idea to make as much progress as you can before the winter sogginess sets in come the New Year.

I know that the older books suggest carpet as a way to cover unused ground, but there are a few things you need to be careful about, especially if it's on the ground long enough.

Depending on the make-up of the carpet, it can often release some chemicals into the soil as the colours and glues break down.  Weeds, especially couch grass, will eventually grow through it so that it's really hard to lift up / remove.  As it breaks down the bits disintegrate into the soil.  And you need to have some plan for disposal when you've finished with it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
Really Silly Question
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 21:53 »
There is no such thing as a silly question on this site so don't be afraid to ask.

If you have the energy to dig it over then do so and add loads of manure.  If you don't, do what you can, cover and leave.
Cheese makes everything better.

lincspoacher

Really Silly Question
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 22:15 »
Quote from: "Ice"
There is no such thing as a silly question on this site

What about 'Shall i give up my lotty and take up computer games? '

Kelly1976

Really Silly Question
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 22:58 »
Thanks for the tip about the carpet.  I have just raided a large supermarket by me and now have enough cardboard boxes to cover 10 allotments - I think I will give that a try.  

I am now the proud owner of a spade and fork and their first jobs were to bury a dead rat I uncovered!  Tomorrow evening the digging begins!

lincspoacher

Really Silly Question
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 23:34 »
Cardboard is the greenest stuff, because it just composts over the winter. Carpet made from artificial fibres can take years to biodegrade.

If you are near any factories that pallet up heavy goods its worth raiding there skips if you can.

Some pallets are wrapped in cling film, but some are wrapped i na much heavier black plastic thats resistant to UV degradation, and when cut flat makes a piece 4 m x 1.5 m

Also, pallets are really useful anyway, especially the 2m pallets, its all treated timber.

woodburner

Really Silly Question
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 14:52 »
I use it to clear undug ground but there's no reason why you shouldn't use it to keep weeds from growing on cleared ground as well. Persoanlly I'm wanting to try field beans this winter as they will improve the soil as well as keep the weeds down, but putting down a layer of manure (or digging it in, especially if it might be contaminated with aminopyralid) before the cardboard, is probably just as good.

I sincerely hope that pallets are made from untreated timber! True, the new stuff isn't as bad as the old but it's still nasty.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Ice

• muck spreader
Really Silly Question
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 16:21 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Quote from: "Ice"
There is no such thing as a silly question on this site

What about 'Shall i give up my lotty and take up computer games? '
I said silly questions not downright stupid ones.

xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Yet another silly question...

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:15
by wellingtons
xx
Next silly question...

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 22:06
by snooziebunny
xx
Another silly question.

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 11:05
by jo.power

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 28 queries.