Yummy tomatoes

• 4 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Yummy tomatoes
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:09 »
All varieties except San Marzano are cropping here in Bulgaria and we are enjoying some lovely multi-coloured salads. There are a few surprises though. The big, blowsy pink beefsteak tomatoes I sowed and was careful to label have turned out to be knobbly tough skinned small red ones....apart from two plants which are the right size but wrong colour (nice sliced thick with an omelette) The Rio Grand....which I thought were not growing too well...have actually buckled under the weight of fruit, bigger than last year. (Hard to see as they are in a trench outside with marigolds)But basically they are all doing OK, putting their energy into fruit rather than lush leaves. I have given up worrying that the neighbour's plants are covered in lovely dark green leaves and tall plants, they also have a constant look of white mildew where they are forever spraying with Bordeau mixture. Mine are different varieties and we are happy to not spray.

Favourites so far are Chocolate Stripes (all sorts of coloured stripes, but very dark flesh) meaty, very juicy and a bit tart. And Green Envy, a green cherry which is crispy and sweet and a bit tart.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Yummy tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:30 »
Mine are just setting fruits, so I am viewing that beautiful bowl full of sunshine through green eyes of envy Tosca  :lol: 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:32 »
Well done - think you may be a bit in front of us in the UK!

How do you tell when the Green Envy are ripe?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36 »
I was a bit worried about that, but next to the other fruits which are very green, they are a tiny bit lighter. We had to bite into them at first as we weren't sure. Will definitely grow them again. :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56 »
They look delicious tosca, mine are still green bullets.  :)

xx
Yummy yummy first Autumn Bliss Raspberry of the year

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 13:15
by sclarke624
xx
Yummy

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
yummy strawberry's

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 14:20
by digalotty
xx
Yummy Booty

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 22:05
by jennyb

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 30 queries.