Eat Well For Less

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Eat Well For Less
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 11:49 »
yes, but most of the stuff on their site isn't what I'd call healthy food - lots of sweets fizzy drinks crisps etc. So not much help if you are looking for healthy food.

Jamie and Jimmy mentioned gleaning on Friday, http://www.feeding5k.org/gleaning.php/
the organisation helps provide food for people in difficulty. Great if you have time to spare.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 12:35 »
T**co on a Sunday afternoon at about 3pm, reduction time. The OH came back with 6 loaves of a popular brand for 15p each, would have got more but freezer not big enough!!  Whole salmon x2 , can't remember price (definite bargain)  but 'persuaded' the 'fish man' to prepare it , so we didn't have to. Steamed for 20-30 mins Yum Yum!! 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 16:12 »
That's very true Mum, though some of the store cupboard things are worth it. Depending what day you login... Their fruit and veg are at market prices, so I'd rather go talk to a stall holder than be ordering that online. You can get really good deals from traders, particularly at the end of the day.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 20:19 »
I cringed when I saw how the dad just threw things in the cart without having any idea how to use them or what they tasted like. I can understand trying something new once but tossing anything and everything in willy nilly like that could end up becoming an expensive and wasteful habit 😧

I watched this today and was shocked, until I remembered they would hardly make a TV programme about people who shop economically and sensibly  :lol:

Mind you, I was also shocked that the idea of "Eating Well" included such stuff as coke such like ::)

I think the woman in the programme is like  a lot of people I used to come across at work -- not much idea how to cook but perfectly capable once they had been shown how. I liked that aspect of the programme a lot  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

LotuSeed

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 05:05 »
I cringed when I saw how the dad just threw things in the cart without having any idea how to use them or what they tasted like. I can understand trying something new once but tossing anything and everything in willy nilly like that could end up becoming an expensive and wasteful habit 😧

I watched this today and was shocked, until I remembered they would hardly make a TV programme about people who shop economically and sensibly  :lol:

Mind you, I was also shocked that the idea of "Eating Well" included such stuff as coke such like ::)

I think the woman in the programme is like  a lot of people I used to come across at work -- not much idea how to cook but perfectly capable once they had been shown how. I liked that aspect of the programme a lot  :D

Yeah, I had to remind myself that it is TV after all, where extremes are the norm.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Tenhens

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 13:58 »
Latest instalment of this series takes us to a family with three (was it 3?) young children , one of which has been through serious illness.   The  3 year old ruled the shopping 'run'. We were not told the family background , did not see one potato!!  Serious amount on the shopping bill, imagine the amount three teenagers will get through.

Could not understand the freezer 'mentality'.  I felt that the parents seemed naive. Having to be told about sticker charts!!   Interesting bit about strawberries.

A program challenging families who could eat for the lowest cost sounds a very good idea.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 14:16 »
Two kids, one who was having treatment for leukemia. Over £300 a week on food. Throwing away good solid veg as she said it was past it's use by date...they don't have use by, it's best before. Perfect food going in the bin. Money to burn, made me want to scream. But it has to be down to education, they were bright people.

As for the strawberries, I'm sorry, but frozen and thawed strawberries are not the same as fresh. But that was nothing to do with the family. She was really open to suggestion after trying stuff she never would have in the past. Nice family, but if they really had an interest in food they would watch more consumer programmes and would know more.

Tenhens

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 14:32 »
Have just been in T##co and looked at the ice cream that the mum picked up. Could not believe the price £4.49!!

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 29 queries.