potatoe problem?

• 9 Replies

salmonking

potatoe problem?
« on: April 25, 2014, 20:17 »
hi guys. I have a strange thing happening with my potatoes.i planted them 3 weeks ago and they are coming through nicely but.......I have them coming up all over the place :unsure:.i dug out drills and planted 4 rows of earlys and 3 of main crop but I have shoots coming out inbetween the drills as well as in them?.could this be from little spuds I missed when turning over the bed before planting.if I pull the shoots out inbetween the drills will it harm the spuds I planted 3 weeks ago if they are attached to them?thanks

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Re: potatoe problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 20:26 »
Did you have potatoes in the same bed last year?
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 20:27 »
I was going to ask the same question!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 20:29 »
I would try carefully digging up one of those rogue shoots. I think you'll find that they come from last year's potatoes, as you suspect.  I've never had shoots coming up in the trough between ridges.

I have a few coming through in last years bed and they're all from little spuds I missed. I'm growing this years potatoes in a different bed, which is recommended.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 20:32 »
I'm growing this years potatoes in a different bed, which is recommended.

Given the amount of diseases that spuds can get and perpetuate, it's essential!

salmonking

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 20:42 »
thanks for the replies guys,yes the spuds are in the same bed.i haven't got room for another bed.this is my 4th year so still learning. :D :D

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 20:47 »
same here.

the beds i used for spuds last year have got quite a few shoots come up, even though i thought i got all the potatoes up last year. i just pulled mine up or dug them out with a fork.

if they are coming up to close the ones you planted this year you prob don't have much choice other than to pull the unintentional one out.

salmonking

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 21:19 »
same here.

the beds i used for spuds last year have got quite a few shoots come up, even though i thought i got all the potatoes up last year. i just pulled mine up or dug them out with a fork.

if they are coming up to close the ones you planted this year you prob don't have much choice other than to pull the unintentional one out.
thanks for that,never had it before so a little perplexed by it!.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 15:44 »
I have the same thing, only the bed had onions and beets in last year! These must be from 2 years ago unless I have some potato planting pixies or something  :D I removed quite a few random spud plants last year so it's fair to say I must of missed a fair few! I didn't realise they could stay dormant for years and then suddenly spring up. ::)
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

salmonking

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 19:35 »
I have the same thing, only the bed had onions and beets in last year! These must be from 2 years ago unless I have some potato planting pixies or something  :D I removed quite a few random spud plants last year so it's fair to say I must of missed a fair few! I didn't realise they could stay dormant for years and then suddenly spring up. ::)
removed a load today and the culprits were spuds the size of a 2 pence!.only problem is I have them in the drills too as well as the planted spuds and don't know which to pull!lol

xx
Potatoe problem!

Started by Shadrak on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 21:36
by peapod
xx
I have a potatoe problem .........

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 21:04
by Trillium
xx
Potatoe problem

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 08:55
by DD.
xx
early potatoe problem

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 08:47
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 28 queries.