Deep Bed Method

• 12 Replies

Vienna Phil

Deep Bed Method
« on: July 15, 2008, 21:38 »
Hi Everyone,

As I stated in my welcome post a week or so ago, I am new to gardening. I recently read about the deep bed method, or raised deep bed method in John Seymour's book, The New Self Sufficient Gardner. I am really interested in trying it next year in my little plot in Vienna. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice?

Looking forward to your posts.

Phil
"What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes,
he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow."
A.A. Milne

Space_Cowby

Deep Bed Method
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28 »
If you mean raised beds then loads of people have them including me.

We went for this approach for a couple of reasons.
All our veg is grown in garden so wanted something that looked nice :-)
Raised beds meant we did not have to walk on the soil so less digging,

down side was

needed loads of soil and wood
probably needs to be watered a little more than regular beds.

Im sure the other members will have differnt thoughts as well though

rainie

Deep Bed Method
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 08:33 »
Hey phil, I found it.  :D

The raised beds offer ease for weeding, and less bending down. The beds are of a size comfortable to yourself to use and you should be able to reach half way across one, comfortably, then move round to the other side and be able to do the same. Paths are put between them.  I see them as container planting on a very large scale.
Hope this helps. Hopefully more suggestions and experience with raised beds will follow from others on here.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:54 »
Ive just got my plot, and was intending to use raised beds for ease of weeding, spacing and just to look neater.  However, the lotty hadnt been used for growing for at least 5 years (chickens were kept on it), so the soil is lovely and fertile.  So im using the beds I have dug 'straight in to the ground' with a border of wood to define the edges if you know what I mean! However Im still using the same rules - no walking on the beds
When the time comes, Ill have a look at raised beds, in about 3 years or so, but purely because then I'll need to improve the soil quite a lot and can have that as an option.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:04 »
Hi Vienna Phill,

I'd say that as one bit of advice, don't put your beds too close together - I'm in the process of setting up a series of beds, and haven't left enough room for my OH to walk down one side (I'm 5'3" and only 8 stone so quite slim, but OH is a fair bit wider than I am  :oops: ) and as a result he keeps stepping on my cabbages and kicking the sweetcorn  :evil:

I thought that I'd make the most of the space I had in order to fit in more beds by reducing the width of the path in between but of course it's OK for me but not anyone else!  

Also, you could do yourself a big favour and put down some type of weed suppressant in between the beds so that you spend more time gardening and less time weeding!

Hope this helps  :D

Vienna Phil

Deep Bed Method
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:05 »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the posts.

Regards from rainy Vienna.

Phil

Minty

• Experienced Member
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:10 »
We have only had our plot for 4 weeks now and have got 9 raised bed's in and it's worked out great for us and it all look's less daunting.The bed's are 8ft x 4ft and made from what our local wood yard call's gravel boards,it cost's £20 for 3 bed's cut to size which I think is pretty good.

We also have 2 heaps of soil on our plot which must total about 20 ton's so that's being used to fill the beds along with some well rotted compost but I think if we didnt have that available the cost would be abit too much if we had to buy the soil in.

Alot of the old boy's on our site who come for a chat have said that if they were starting all over again they would go for the raised bed system.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 14:51 »
Quote from: "Minty"
Alot of the old boy's on our site who come for a chat have said that if they were starting all over again they would go for the raised bed system.

I wonder when you are classed as an 'old boy' (in my case 'old girl!)..5 years...10.....30?

:D  :D  :D

Minty

• Experienced Member
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 00:11 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Quote from: "Minty"

I wonder when you are classed as an 'old boy' (in my case 'old girl!)..5 years...10.....30?

:D  :D  :D

A lot of the old boy's and old girls on our site have been there for over 40 years.They are a brilliant bunch and always come over for a chat and to offer advice. 8)

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56 »
Hi and welcome.

One potential problem with the raised bed system is that the weeds lurk under the paths and spread into the beds. I'm not knocking the system which I think is great but if you have something like mairs tale or bindweed roots under the paths then they will spread into your beds.

I have just got hold of a full size plot n my site - upgrading from a quarter to a half to the 'big one' and have decided that there will be 'no paths' between beds as they just harbour roots and therefore weeds.

Just my opinion - for what its worth - some people on our site do raised beds and dont seem to have a weed problem - maybe its just my paranoiaia

upert

• Experienced Member
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 23:01 »
i have grown whopping, happy crops in my deep raised beds. they do take a lot of soil unless you chuck on the stuff from the paths, and a lot of my raised beds are unsupported with wooden sides because wood has been a problem to get. if you don't want to bend down you'll have to raise them a helluva height and that takes masses of soil.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
Deep Bed Method
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 23:19 »
raised beds offer the oppertunity to grow at a manageable level i.e less weeding ,more crops together and ease of manageability.
they are therefore ok to use but you can only grow so many in a smaller space. certain cropslike aspagus thrive in them others dont upto what you want .
The thing about old boy made me laugh old boy here  is son whereas old chap is dad,if an old boy is a son or an older gentleman is that a young old boy or an old old boy? who knows .

Bombers

Deep Bed Method
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:19 »
One thing that I've learned about raised beds in a relatively small plot, is that when you need to consider next seasons crops, it's really usefull to be able to move beds around. I have a number of 8' x 4' beds made with old 3" x 3" fence posts. I haven't screwed them together, and because they are quite bulky, they don't move around as would a smaller section of timber. That said, now i have a space where this years tatties were, I will just 'up sticks' (Scuse the pun) move the bed to that space, and use the old bed for next years First earlies.(If that makes sense??? :roll: )
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

xx
How deep is too deep for potatoes?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 18:26
by peapod
xx
No-dig method - how do you do it?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 10:58
by Salkeela
xx
Planting out into a No Dig method

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2020, 16:40
by AnneB
xx
Carrot method.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2020, 15:45
by Kenilworth

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.