Mites?

• 5 Replies

Ginarina

Mites?
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:52 »
 :wacko: Hello all can someone tell me what mites look like as yesterday I saw 5 or 6 tiny black things running around the chooks door, my hens where very interested in trying to eat them but I was horror struck...are these mites?  :ohmy:

JACDORE

Re: Mites?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:10 »
There usually seen in clumps, wen u say tiny, do you mean approx 1-2mm.  Depending on wether they have been feeding they usually turn red as full of blood from the hens.  I'd go look all round the hen house, wat bedding do you use.
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:45 »
Hi Ginarina, first of all there are many types of mites :)

The typical Red Mite which we refer to are very, very small - like several could fit onto a pin head.  Red Mite are typically grey in colour, and only take on the red colour when they have been feeding.

It would be impossible to eliminate all insects from your chicken pen/coop, and I wouldn't even try.  Many insects provide a valuable secondary food source.

As long as your hens are parasite free (part the feathers close to the vent, and beneath the wings for the most likely places to see nasties) and are fit and healthy, I wouldn't worry too much!

You can check for Red Mite by taking a slip of paper and running it between cracks in the wood of the coop - preferably after dark once the hens are roosting.  If the slip of paper comes out smeared with red, then you have a problem, if not, then you're OK.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 21:35 »
Here's what they look like they are around 0.5 mm across but can be much smaller as they have 4 life cycles, larvae, protonymph, nymph, and adult.  These are adult RM on the end of a perching rail.  They can move remarkably fast for their size they can be off the screen and in your hair before you finish reading this.  ..........................Start itching NOW!

HF
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 23:18 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 21:57 »
...They can move remarkably fast for their size they can be off thye screen and in your hair before you finish reading this.  ..........................Start itching NOW!

HF

:blink: ooh what a cruel thing to do! :mad: My scalp started itching the moment I read that and I've never even had red mites!

I'll be sending you the therapist's bill.   

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:03 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: scalp itching too and whats that ican feel crawling across my face  :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
question
Mites

Started by ychook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:35
by feelingbroody
xx
mites

Started by Ched on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 21:49
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Mites

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 21:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.