Rescued chicken

• 2 Replies

andymac

• andymacs
Rescued chicken
« on: July 14, 2009, 14:29 »
Hi all.  :)
I had a young chicken (probably about 15/20 weeks given by a friend who thought it would be ok with my girls as his son wasn't looking after it very well.
I had no idea of the breed, it was very dark almost totally black with blue/green legs. I introduced it to my 4 girls (Isa browns), who started making all sorts of noises, then they all started getting nasty with the poor little thing, so I removed it.  :unsure:
I was then left with the dilemma as to what to do with her next. I decided to go and see an old friend of mine who has an allotment with lots of different hens and more space to ask if he would take her.
He said "yes, no problem, put her with all these young hens". So I did.
A few glances from a few hens but no aggression. Then a young cockerel saw her, and came running up and started fighting with her.  :ohmy: The poor little thing had a good go at fending him off but I thought it was curtains for her. Then as I was going to rescue her, another Bigger cockerel came running over, I thought, "that's it, she's history". But much to my surprise the larger cockerel set about the other cockerel and chased him off, then just walked off and carried on with his business. I thought how good was that.
   I guess chivalry is alive and kicking in the poultry world even if not so much in ours nowerdays. :lol:
Andy.

poppies

Re: Rescued chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 16:55 »
Hi I think you will find they were trying to tread her, the bigger cockerel  knocked the smaller one off to show who's boss

andymac

• andymacs
Re: Rescued chicken
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:56 »
Ah, so it all comes down to sex eh? I guess there just like us after all then. :blush:

xx
Advice pls... Rescued hen

Started by francais on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 11:12
by compostqueen
clip
rescued hens

Started by samuria on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 05, 2015, 09:00
by samuria
xx
RESCUED HENS

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 21:02
by kentishlad
xx
Rescued hens.

Started by becky on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 33 queries.