Spent tomato potting compost

• 4 Replies

Hose A

• The Acropolis?? A' divvent thinkso hinney!
Spent tomato potting compost
« on: December 01, 2018, 16:58 »
Hi all, just finished emptying my tomato pots and bagged up the old compost when a thought came to me! In the spring I always sow my potatoes in trenches but I do lay them on a good bed of peat and completely cover the tubers also with peat before back filling the trench so I'm wondering if the spent compost would be a good alternative or am I inviting trouble in view of the fact that potatoes and tomatoes are the same family? If anyone has any thoughts on this I would happy to hear them.

Cheers Hose A

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Spent tomato potting compost
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 17:20 »
There is one vital thing to bear in mind there:

1. Spores of Late Blight persist on/in living plant material, either tomato or potato. Are ou absolutely certain there is not even a shred of tomato in the spent compost?

and I know you usually use peat, which has little nutrient value, so therefore spent compost should be fine, but most commercial mpcs are alkaline, which would encourage potato scab, whilst peat is slightly acidic and would give a degree of protection

I wouldn't. but I am sure opinions vary. There are usually lots of different ways of looking at things!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 17:41 »
Having suffered blight on both toms and pots this year I've learnt the hard way how ridiculously easily this stupid disease spreads and how devastating it can be to crops. Therefore I personally wouldn't tempt fate by growing pots in spent tomato compost.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:49 »
I have trouble with badgers on my allotment plot, and whilst I have managed to keep them off the carrots this year, thanks to a tonne of metalwork, I had a cunning backup plot, so at least we had some carrots for Christmas 

I dug out a trench behind the greenhouse at home, a spade wide 6' long and a foot deep, then filled it with the previous year's compost. In this I sowed two rows about 6" apart and them thinned the plants to 3" apart with the rows staggered.

I have the best carrots I've ever grown, the one in the picture has not even been washed!
40685633_10217002499553989_8880286437182799872_n.jpg
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 19:48 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 08:30 »
Mmm, I could do that in my garden,  at the mo the used g/house compost is stored in 2 plastic dustbins..
my plot is heavy clay, so this sounds like a very good idea  ;)

xx
spent compost

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 12:21
by SG6
xx
Spent compost

Started by rnidpete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 20:32
by New shoot
xx
Spent compost

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 08:11
by DD.
xx
Spent mushroom compost

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 06:07
by marion

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 45 queries.