peas please

• 23 Replies

lettice

Re: peas please
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 14:54 »
That is a lot of peas DD
I freeze sweetcorn, but must admit the peas just all get eaten fresh back in the kitchen and we pick loads through the season, but not on your scale.

Not over the years have ever had any kind of pest touch my peas. Always thought peas were a pest free crop and nothing disease wise apart from end of cropping mildew, but not seen that either.
Do feed all my myriad of birds regularly with a few bird tables around the plot, so think they are fully fed happy and never have a need to touch my crops.

victoria park

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 15:20 »
Hmmm, never thought about bird feeding stations on my plot to keep them off the crops. Might be a good idea. Does anyone else find this successful ? I'm wondering too whether trhe rodents wpould pinch all the food.

rowlandwells

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 18:07 »
i would certainly be very cautious about feeding birds on the allotments that would  encourage rodents I seen a woman actually feeding rats yesterday the mind boggles

because these  rats have made nests in another woman's roadside garden  she is now frightened to do any gardening because the rats are running about I told her to contact the local council to see what can be done

as its not my allotment I can't really get involved because its a roadside garden owned by the council I never get any rodents down our  allotment because I deal with them swiftly before they multiply

lettice

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 14:53 »
What has rats got to do with a bird table.
Do people really have rats on their plots. If so do think you ought to get your local council to sort that out. Surely that is a health hazard.

Elaine G

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 17:35 »
Lettice there are definitely rats on our site. OH says some are quite large  :ohmy:
Certainly the committee are aware. I have never seen one on my plot though.
But on such a large site as ours - 175 ish plots, some with chickens, some with lower standards of hygiene! - control of them must be impossible. Poison would be questionable with dogs and children around.
And yes, a bird table would present no difficulty to a rat, they are very agile. So not for me.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

rowlandwells

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 08:57 »
obviously you don't know your rats lettuce rats will come where ever there's food including bird tables or if you put  bread out for the birds they will come

we found rats living under a tarpaulin sheet down the allotments when we took the sheet of but then they seemed to go some people had to stop feeding there birds as they had rats climbing on bird table eating the birds food

maybe that's the reason the council have introduced a separate food bin so food is not put in the normal rubbish bin that goes to land fill there's plenty of rats about you just don't see them but put some food about and you will

AnneB

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 07:46 »
I would be amazed if there is an allotment site in the land without a rat somewhere.   

lettice

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:25 »
And yes, a bird table would present no difficulty to a rat, they are very agile. So not for me.

Actually I have bird stations, so not the old fashioned flat and roofed tables, they can get messy. So poles and hanging cages. The food stays nice and clean in these and is changed and cleaned by me twice a day.
Do have a small open bowl on the stations for my homemade bread that the larger birds are normally waiting for and clean up quickly every day along with mealworms during the winter months.
We always have blue tits in our boxes around the plot, that also are nicely protected and cleaned once flown.
Think some use these stations for being squirrel proof, but they also do make it all a cleaner feeding area.
Do clean the small drop, mainly form the pigeons that are messy eaters and a little drops to the ground.
Have a cctv camera on my plot and on my bird stations and never seen anything on there apart form birds for the ten years I've had plot cctv.
We do get a few foxes over the year that walk around the plot, but they keep to the paths oddly and are really just jumping fences between plots and gardens. The security lights push them out the plot at dusk when they seem to be most active. But luckily living near to the beach, their attraction is there rather than our plots. The road by the beach is often carrying a dead fox.
Me and my neighbours cats probably help also with keeping the birds on the move. But the feeding keeps them on the bird station, not the plot. So both work for me.
By the way I'm not on an allotment, but have a large garden dedicated plot. maybe allotments are more of an attraction.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:27 by lettice »

jaydig3

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 17:27 »
I have rats on my plot, and so do most of the other plotholders.  I think they are just a fact of life on any allotment site.  I just leave them alone and the numbers seem to be self limiting.

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
clip
peas

Started by luke34 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 08:57
by luke34
xx
Peas

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 08:28
by matron

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 47 queries.