Sweet peas been eaten :(

• 5 Replies

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
Sweet peas been eaten :(
« on: March 09, 2013, 14:02 »
Had them in the greenhouse. Checked on them today and they'd germinated but it looks like they've been nibbled at and scratched around in the compost :( Not sure what to do with sowing some more now. No point putting another batch in there or the furry blighters will have them too :(
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Stree

Re: Sweet peas been eaten :(
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 15:56 »
That will be mice. They love peas.... They had a go at mine earlier, so I put upturned 3" pots over them on a night. The sweetpeas that is, not the mice. They are too quick for me.

A few years a go I had some really nice seedling sweetpeas in a cold frame, Oct sown and this would be about January.
I opened the cold frame through the day and closed at night. When I opened it I put netting round it to keep my chickens out.
One day I forgot the netting. Chickens didn`t bother but the goose and gander ate the lot level with the soil. I was fed up.
Amazingly they continued growing, and went on to be some of the most healthy sweetpeas I ever raised!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 16:04 »
I find they leave them alone once they've germinated, so perhaps start the next lot on the table  ::) :lol:

Or have you got some wire netting, or a piece of plastic (weigh it down with a brick)  to cover them till they're up.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 17:48 »
Lol! I shall buy another pack next time I'm out and start them on the dining table then along with everything else, then fingers crossed the little burgers do leave them alone  :D Thanks guys :D

Slowcoach

Re: Re: Sweet peas been eaten :(
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 18:11 »
How do they know ???
I've sown sweet peas in the past and put them straight in the cold frame the've eat 60 or more seeds overnight. They must smell them or something.
Germinate them in a safe warm place then put them in the frame.......then you have to watchout for slugs :-\

tjcnok

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36 »
All that plus deer, possums, armadillo's, wild pigs, bob cats, coyotes, and neighbors.

xx
sweet peas

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 08:47
by mumofstig
question
sweet peas

Started by gypsy on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 21:59
by gypsy
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by mikegm on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 15:13
by sunshineband
xx
B & Q Sweet Peas

Started by DD. on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 08:25
by DD.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.