Poorly Hen

• 6 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Poorly Hen
« on: May 11, 2016, 21:38 »
Sandy my soft shell, no shell layer, stopped over the winter then about six weeks ago started laying again, along with the other two, who are in fine shape. Then on Monday she was looking a bit sad, yesterday very bloated, so I gently tipped her up to make her sick, squidgy crop, dosed them all with ACV water, then put them to bed. When I let them out this morning she was very lethargic, so I let them out to free range this afternoon and took her inside with me, sat on a towel, with a drop of ACV in water and a few layer pellets. She settled down and has been like that since 1pm, apart from two very watery poops. I am not hopefull she will pull through this as her crop keeps filling with brown liquid. She can't stand up anymore. :(

Tonight I plan to put her in the dog cage and see if she is still with us in the morning, but not hopefull, she is very quiet and does not seem stressed so I don't feel the need to mess with her too much.
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:37 »
Tonight I plan to put her in the dog cage and see if she is still with us in the morning, but not hopefull, she is very quiet and does not seem stressed so I don't feel the need to mess with her too much.

Is she still with you Dan?  I would have done the same.  Trouble is they mask illness until the very end and by the time they let you know, its really too late for much to be done, apart from get them somewhere safe, quiet and warm  :(

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:05 »
Hello New Shoot,  Yes still with us, a small pool of brown stain on the sawdust but she is allert, eyes bright but not moving about. Pretty much in the spot where I left her. The other two are in their eglu doing the normal thing. One egg first thing, hoping for another so they are well, just this sickly one.
Being at the office now I shall be checking on her and trying to sort her out this afternoon, plus letting the others out, and doing my usual work at home.

Last night she could not stand up, one foot was closed up. A client of mine said they fold their toes up when they die, so maybe she is on her way.

I was ready for a burial this morning but, hey these birds are tough!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 20:29 »
The shock of the fox might be too much for her, but she might pull through yet. but a trip to the vet might be useful. Does she also have watery eyes or sounds rattlely.
I would not leave the chooks outside unless in a foxproof area as it is breeding time and foxes will be out daytime.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 21:22 »
Living where we do we have always had foxes in the vicinity, one used to play with our terrier dog, which is why I invested in an Eglu, and it is servicing us well. If the Eglu gets damaged or broken then I will replace it. Can't have my birds damaged through my skimping on their safety.

Back to Sandy, well she is still lounging in the dog cage, in the conservatory, drinking well but not eating much, also sleeping lots. I have had the radio on all the time playing old pop songs so she seems quite contented. Her comb, and wattles have gone a shade of purple but apart from that she is just dozy. I had the internal garage door open this morning and a couple of small windows to give some airflow and keep the room cool. This worked well

I'm guessing she will not be on her feet again so will just keep her watered and let her slip away. :(

I had these birds at 18-20wks almost two years ago and have suspected we are now in the last year of laying so they may get worn out or off colour too.

Hen and Beryl came and checked her over, tried to drink all her water and what bit of food she had so I had to put the cage on top of an arm chair then put my briefcase under it to stop them jumping up. They are some lovable little birds and can be very challenging as the pc people say!!  :mad:

Told them off today one egg between two very fit and lively hens is poor reward for all the time I put in. I think Beryl is the part timer ;)

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 15:35 »
Well Sandy left us today just after lunch. I guess she had a massive heart attack as after being almost motionless for a couple of days she kicked put her hackles up and rolled over on her side. The noise alerted me as I was just eating my soup in the other room.

I was quite surprised how quick riggor set in, and pretty soon after dug a hole and buried her down the garden.

Good looking bird, but as is quite common, bad tempered, bossy, kept her distance, poor layer, and having said that delightfull to own and look after.

Only got two now. I did think I might get a replacement, but that could upset the other two who are very content until they are put back in the Eglu early. :mad:  Which will be in about an hour as we are visiting this evening :D
Sandy (855 x 642).jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 16:10 »
Well you gave her a chance, but it was her time after all  :(

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen?

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 18:14
by hillfooter
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 16:55
by New shoot
xx
poorly hen

Started by cristal666 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 15:48
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 41 queries.