Too big a hen house?

• 8 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Too big a hen house?
« on: October 20, 2007, 18:21 »
This is really aimed at Munty - I read in another post that you felt that chickens may get cold if they have too much space.  I converted a 6' x 4' shed into a hen house for my 6 hens.   I  have a layer of wood shavings on the floor as well as plenty of straw for them.  The shed is very well protected - a high brick wall behind it, a large shed right against one length and 2 fence panels on the other side and the door is firmly shut at night.

I'm new to chicken keeping and although I've read lots of books and found this site invaluable - I do worry they might get cold.  Is there anything else I can do for them?

Thanks

Kym

Bodger

Too big a hen house?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 18:31 »
I'll stick my neck out here and say that chickens can't have too much room. Their ancestors were birds of the jungle where they had unlimited space.
In the UK our chickens can never really be too cold. What they can't stand is wet and draught. The other thing is they don't get on with is being too stuffy, so for goodness sake don't closet them, let them have as much fresh air as possible.

The healthiest chickens that I've ever kept had total free range and roosted high up thirty or forty feet at the top of our conifers every night and they looked as snug as bugs in a rug up there.

muntjac

Too big a hen house?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 18:56 »
the point was made where the sheds are as bodger said " draughty " the colder air blowing around and through is the problem with what kills the birds. its no point sticking birds in to big a shed in that they never get the warmth in cold temps that you get with less space coming off the birds ,you wouldnt want to try snuggle up in an aircraft hanger ,but a 6x4 shed would be cosy ,if its draught free  and as i pointed out i have had them roost in trees myself but they will seek a warmer place like a barn if they get to cold ,pheasants falling frozen from trees isnt a pretty sight ...a happy draught free compromise  :wink:
still alive /............

Bodger

Too big a hen house?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 19:00 »
Yup :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Too big a hen house?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 19:26 »
In the Nov 07 issue of Practical Poultry there is an artical about hen keeping in the recent past.  

After WW2 when building materials were in short supply hens were kept in a straw yard, they thrived well and even did better than hen kept in barns.  Due to wood shortages hen houses were often made of just a roof with wire mesh sides.  Hessian sacking was used to give shelter and shading when needed.

These hens were exposed to the elements and did well.  They really are hardy creatures with a fantastic built in duvet  :wink:

muntjac

Too big a hen house?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 19:29 »
had to put bales around a hen house in the past aunt sally .to keep the shed warmer   :shock: -12  windchill -22. also in tenn we had -30 with freezing ice  and a wind chil of -45 , old folks sat down and died feeding the birds at the knoxville park

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Too big a hen house?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 19:34 »
Worst we ever get in Kent is -5 Munty.  I think the article was about UK only.  PP Nov 2007 pp52-55

Apparently (as the article says) Husbandry was all important and the systems labour intensive - birds did well though  :D

muntjac

Too big a hen house?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 19:36 »
yups  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Too big a hen house?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 21:23 »
Bit late, but I keep 4 in a 8 x 6 and they always seem OK and I leave the window open about 6" all the time, more in the summer a little less in the winter.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
won't use new house

Started by 3ps on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 21:26
by orchardlady
xx
Hen House

Started by Le Hameau on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 21:43
by binghamd
xx
my hen house

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 23:56
by nettynoodles1
xx
Hen house help?

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 14:28
by Mulberry1990

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 33 queries.