Feet !

• 7 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Feet !
« on: August 09, 2013, 21:38 »
Georgie was limping three days ago. I looked at her feet after checking advice on here and looking up details on bumblefoot. Her foot did not really look like any of the pictures but did seem a bit puffy but then so did the good one and actually, not having inspected feet underneath before not sure what should be like. I bathed and sprayed with septiclens. next day she was hopping rather than limping and seemed out of sorts. Repeated procedure again soaking feet in warm water with teatree oil and then spraying. Today she was brighter (not least for having spectacular bright purple legs against her white feathers)  and limp seemed less. She is eating well and enjoying sun Not sure about laying though. May also be moulting a bit. I have bathed and sprayed again hoping for best. MEANWHILe thought I'd look at legs on sabelpoot girls which I had thought looked a bit scaly. I sprayed for scaly leg and then looked at feet. They had puffy bits under and one girl had black coloured ring but not a scab just colour.  They aren't limping. Am I paranoid? as well as smelling of teatree and covered in purple spray. There is always something to worry about. Maybe I have studied too many horrible feet pics on internet
Any advice/reassurance etc would be much appreciated.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Feet !
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 22:26 »
It is always best to inspect your birds regularly so that you get acquainted with what is and isn't normal for them.  I would possibly give them all a good foot soak/wash and apply Vaseline or dip in vegetable oil (use a jam jar).  Then you can keep any eye on their feet and see if the marks are something to worry about or not.  If in doubt you can post a photo for members opinions and advice.   ;)

Also check their roost bars for any splinters in the wood and any sharp object in their run that could cause injury and possible infection to their feet.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 22:36 »
Will do all that tomorrow. Bit worried about the miscanthus I bought for the coop. It seems to have lots of sharp pieces in. I hope that has not caused a problem.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 22:48 »
It is not something I have tried as there are no local suppliers so I have never seen it to comment.  I am using Easichick Poultry Bedding in the nest box at the moment as I lost 2 birds that ate some bedding (Nedz Bed Pro)and had blocked gizzards.  Easichick is wood based and they don't try to eat it and it does not have any sharp or spikey bits.  I pay £8.99 for a 20kg bail and I know it is safe for my chicks as there are no small pieces for them to try and eat.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 22:56 »
How long have you been using the grass and is it as nest box or under perches? Have they been trying to eat it?
Is it just 1 limping and could she have fallen hard on her feet.
I smear vasaline on scaly leg daily for a few weeks and they get new scales when mouting.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 22:59 »
How long have you been using the grass and is it as nest box or under perches? Have they been trying to eat it?
Is it just 1 limping and could she have fallen hard on her feet.
I smear vasaline on scaly leg daily for a few weeks and they get new scales when mouting.

Jo had posted on the Lame Chicken topic about hers LINK

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 23:24 »
I use miscanthus under perches and in nesting boxes. It was a huge bale which I have been using for 5 or 6 weeks. I think it seems very full of sharp pieces but was recommended so gave it a try.  They don't try to eat it. Only One is limping and only for past couple of days. I am hoping she is on the mend. I have tried vaseline for scaly leg before but it is very tricky to use on the feathery legged sabelpoots. Have 2 different issues on the go here.

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 08:53 »
Hope all is going well. Worth bearing in mind that they can be as clumsy as humans and misjudge distances, stub toes etc (they also land like bricks!) so a limp may not be a penetrating injury or infection. Sometimes useful to pick them up and see if they will grip your finger.

xx
Feet!!

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 18:51
by Hawthorne
xx
HENS FEET

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 21:21
by Vember
xx
Chickens feet

Started by wilbzfishing on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 07:58
by Sassy
xx
Chicks feet

Started by Nails on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 08:40
by joyfull

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 39 queries.