Horseradish

• 6 Replies

BLOOMING LOVELY

Horseradish
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:14 »
I am thinking of putting a Horseradish plant into a long tom pot that I have. I tried last year and only managed a miserable spindly thing. What went wrong. When is the best time to plant and harvest. Any advise please
My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, also my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 19:19 »
I don't know if it needed a bigger pot, but what sort of compost did you use, and did you feed it at all?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BLOOMING LOVELY

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24 »
Sorry Yorkie, missed your reply.  It was just normal multi compost and yes I did feed it. I have no where to put it in the garden thats why I thought of a long tom pot

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 20:30 »
what type of horse radish, the long white mooli or smaller red skinned horseradish?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 20:31 »
Horseradish have huge tap roots that can reach China, so a pot is the worst place for them. If you decide on a ground space, be sure it's a spot you want horseradish in forever as roots will continually snap off if dug out and you'll keep getting horseradish there.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 20:43 »
if you growing white mooli then the best way is to create a mound of soil in open ground like we do when growing potato's and plant the horseradish plant in the mound around November. over the winter it grows the root rather than green leaves. if the green leaves grow too much then root won't be tender to eat but in case it does we do harvest the seed pods after flowering and if you try eating one its like eating raw chilli's !! :D. will give them a try near oct/Nov.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 23:46 »
Horseradish have huge tap roots that can reach China, so a pot is the worst place for them.

I grow mine in a pot to stop them becoming a pest. They do OK - mind you, its a fairly decent sized pot - 14" diameter at a guess.

xx
Horseradish help

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 22:03
by grinling
xx
horseradish

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 00:21
by viettaclark
xx
horseradish

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 07:03
by DD.
xx
horseradish

Started by clive1961 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 17:32
by sarajane

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 35 queries.