Ladder work...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Ladder work...
« on: June 01, 2019, 21:29 »
As an upright citizen, trying to conserve the few drops of water we're allowed under the new 'climate-change' rules (joke), your friendly Growster has decided to revisit every water-saving device on 'The Turrets' and make sure they work!

Well, one of them did, but not very well, and when it rained the other day, the other two just sat there and did nothing!

So an inspection/repair via a long ladder was the stern response.

Hmmm...

I nearly fell off our ladder several years ago, and had it not been for Mrs Growster doing what she does best, i.e., come to the rescue, there would have been mayhem and a large ambulance, but that's another story.

So when there was absolutely no water emerging from the down-pipes, a material inspection was indicated, and the ladder positioned (with great effort I might add), and the rungs approached with fevered trepidation.

Nope.

Halfway up, a Growstergram said - 'Nooooo', and in a flish, I descended, and felt less fear and despondent!

I suppose, at nearly 72, I should realise that such events will occur more often! I was chatting with my dear sister a few hours ago, and she's a few years older than me and we both agreed that gutters are for the young...

(Mind you, I met our favourite house-painter earlier today, outside Waitrose, and asked him if he knew anyone who'd do the job! I'll do it, he said, and by next weekend, he'll have a few notes, and we'll have some rainwater, so it ain't all bad)!

But aren't ladders a generation thing really...

mrs bouquet

Re: Ladder work...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:47 »
Growster, that sounds like a "You've Been Framed" moment .   Get the £250, then you pay the painter to go up the ladder  :D .   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 15:33 »
They certainly are an age thing in more ways than one. Many years ago I got up our ladder onto the extension roof so I could paint the gable end and thought the Hardrow tiles would give me plenty of grip. Wrong! They were very slippery and am glad OH was nearby as he had to come to my rescue. Now I can manage the loft stairs but that's about all. There is an inner voice that tells you you're about to do something silly and that comes with age as does wisdom.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 20:13 »
Ladies, you are starlets at caring for and understanding an ageing Growster, with the potential to muck up the NHS Emergency service purely because the mind makes appointments the body can't keep!

My chum when he was painting 'The Turrets' last year, once called out to come and 'look at this'...

He'd pulled a yard-long sycamore from the very same problematical down-pipe, and chucked it down with a huge thud!

We'll be delighted to see him again, and he'll be a delirious bunny as we load his pockets with old shillings, a handful of 1950 pennies and probably a carrot from Waitrose..;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 13:23 »
Just make sure you don't give him a 1933 penny!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 13:54 »
A few years ago, when he was about your age Growster, I forbade Plotfather from climbing ladders outdoors. The stress was far too much....for me! He is only allowed to use the loft ladder and the indoor steps for high jobs. 

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 21:17 »
Just make sure you don't give him a 1933 penny!

Funnily enough Goosey, I used to check every old penny I had, and never found one!

Had I done so, I'd have been living in The Bahamas, but then, I would never have met Mrs Growster, so it ain't all bad!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 21:20 »
A few years ago, when he was about your age Growster, I forbade Plotfather from climbing ladders outdoors. The stress was far too much....for me! He is only allowed to use the loft ladder and the indoor steps for high jobs.

Would you like to look at our kitchen ceiling, Mrs Plot?

I have a suspicion about it at the moment, and it needs a helping hand...

(Growster - behave..;0)

xx
Do you think this will work ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 17, 2018, 19:46
by grinling
xx
Down to work

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 21:17
by RubyRed
xx
1ST day back to work

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 12:05
by Goosegirl
xx
It all makes work for the working man to do !!!!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 19:32
by wighty

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 46 queries.