Overwintered onions from seed and sets - to to care for over winter

• 7 Replies

green3a

Hi, I have tried growing from seed this year into prepared ground. They've been in for 2 months and now they have leaves about 6 inches above the ground. Since the frosts will soon be coming what is the best way to protect them over winter? I have some fleece loosely covering them but I'm worried about snapping their stems. Should I cut them back or just simply leave them be?
Also I put onion and garlic sets in about a month ago and they're all beginning to sprout top growth which is good. Same question applies to these as well. The types are Electric, Senshyu and Thermidore.

Thanks,  Alan.

BabbyAnn

last year I grew Senshyu Yellow from seed (and some other variety from sets as a back up plan) - after the heavy lying snow and deep penetrating frosts for several weeks from late November, I had more or less resigned myself that the seedlings were dead.  I couldn't be more wrong - not only survived, thrived and produced the best onion crop  :D  So, don't cut back and don't bother with fleece - this will most likely damage the leaves more (and introduce diseases)

As for the sets, I lost quite a few where the frost and ice had lifted them out of the ground - so growing from seed definitely did better!

LorraineWB

Over the last 4 years I have grown various types of onions from sets over winter and always had a very good crop the following summer.  This years's crop were slightly smaller than previous years but still pretty good.  I have never covered the young leaves and not had any problems.

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
I'm only covering mine until they get some leaves and roots to stop the bird pulling them out. Then they're going to be exposed to all the weather has to throw at them...

green3a

Thanks for all the advice - so quick as well. I bit the bullet today and uncovered my little babies so fingers crossed. Time for them to stand up on their own.....
Al.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
So, am I too late to plant some onion sets for this year?

I live on teh south coast so we are pretty mild down here at the moment?

if I am not too late can I plant any onion, I want some red ones and shallots?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
There are special types for planting in Autumn, ordinary onion sets don't get planted until spring ;)

gobs

Green, you do not need to do anything to overwintering onions.

Your seed lot though sound as if they were late sown. Still, all you can do, is leave well alone.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

question
onions (seed or sets ?)

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 09:43
by chrissie B
xx
onions from seed v's sets

Started by Gellideg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2018, 08:17
by jaydig
xx
Onions from sets or seed ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:54
by Salmo
xx
Storing seed potatoes, onions and garlic sets

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:21
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 31 queries.