Unwelcome newcomers

• 10 Replies

Pig Cat

Unwelcome newcomers
« on: September 11, 2012, 22:10 »
I have four older hens that now don't lay so decided to get two POL hens to join the group. Unfortunately they've been rather bullied by the old girls over the last few weeks and have now been refused entry to the coop. They have taken to flapping up on to the fence to roost. This is fine while it's warm, but I'm concerned about what will happen in winter. Will they freeze up there or force their way in to the coop? Also, they're not laying yet and, because they won't go in the coop, I have no idea what they'll do once it's time. Will they just lay eggs around the run, do you reckon? Any advice gratefully received.  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 22:11 by Pig Cat »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Unwelcome newcomers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32 »
Friends who used to keep a large set up - an enclosure around the housing with trees in it (the enclosure) - found that some of the hens always preferred to roost in the trees, all year round even in frost and snow.

Its a shame you haven't got them to integrate yet, hopefully someone will have ideas of how you can do this retrospectively, as they might well just start laying anywhere when they do start.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Pig Cat

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02 »
Thanks aragula. Well you've set my mind at rest a little over the roosting habits. So perhaps they'll be fine even in colder weather, though it seems a bit odd. I suppose they can lay wherever they like, as long as it isn't when they are up on the fence!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:20 »
If you wait until they are sleepy on the fence to lift them into the coop and on the perch for a week or so that might work.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Pig Cat

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:14 »
Normally they are very scared of me, but I did notice that a couple of weeks ago, when they were roosting on top of the coop, they were happy to let me stroke them. Unfortunately I'm not sure I want to risk moving them as they now roost rather high up and are liable to fly down in to next door's garden.

One other option in all this is to cull the four old hens who are not producing eggs. They are pets really but I feel that we primarily keep hens for eggs. That is something both my wife and I are up for in theory, but the actual practice is another matter...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:22 »
That is always an option but is sometimes easier said than done.

You could try enticing them with  treats once the bullies have gone to bed.  If you encourage them to go near the coop on the first night and gradually use the treats on the ramp and then into the coop.  A small light placed in the coop has also been used by other members to encourage them in on a night.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 16:23 »
Hi when we had one old girl left we introduced 3 newbies and she wouldn't let them in the coop, so we took her out, put her in the lobby and put the three in the coop, next night she wouldn't let them in so we did the same thing, but the next night she again didn't let them in but I lifted the coop roof and put one in that way and she was fine? so all three entered through the roof, after doing this for a couple more nights she finally let them in through the pop hole. Maybe worht a try with your girls...

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 21:34 »
someone gave me an old rabbit hutch and with a few modifications one clique moved in there for some time. eventually they all mixed together.

the pecking order may look brutal to us, but that's nature. it usually settles down.

Pig Cat

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 21:54 »
Thanks for the replies, but I think I've left it a bit long now. I should have taken action a few weeks ago as now the two newbies seem dead-set on perching up high every night. I've tried isolating them in the day and placing them in the coop but they get spooked and run out straight away. I am also pretty certain that if I were to try and lift the hens down off the fence they'd jump in to the next door garden.

Ah well, it's now up to them if they want to go indoors. They might decide to when the oldies peg out, or perhaps when the weather turns bad. I know it's risky but I don't close the coop door at night, so it will always be available to them if they want it. And if they won't lay eggs in there I'll just have to get in the habit of searching about for them each day. I imagine they'll choose a spot and pretty much stick to it.

Thanks for all your advice.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 14:55 »
As you dont shut your pop hole door at night your run must be secure against foxes and rats could you not place them in and shut the door for a few nights and see what happens ?
Pull up a perch!!

Pig Cat

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:35 »
Well we had a go at that this week actually, but gave up after a few tries. They are very hard to catch which distresses them rather. Once caught we put them in the coop and they spent the night in there happily enough. Then we thought they'd go in by themselves but they still preferred roosting high up. Oh well, it's not the end of the world, but just not ideal. I hope they start laying soon, but perhaps now the weather is cooling we'll have to wait until Spring.

xx
A newcomers three questions

Started by Hattie10 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 00:45
by iwantanallotment
xx
Intoducing newcomers

Started by Tykelad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 20:44
by jo40

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 35 queries.