Tomatos ill growing in conservatory

• 61 Replies

JohnB

« on: November 17, 2007, 11:32 »
Moved to house in the countryside have a conservatory and want to grow salad stuff all year round. Leaf veg doing ok but toms looking ill. Bottom leaves on all plants (2 types) are going brown and falling off. Leaves go brown from outside in. They shrink inwards eventual there is just a liitle stub where branch was, left on the plant. The conservatory is warm all the time the door from the house into the conservatory is always open and the heating comes on at night. The plants are about 6 weeks old. Pepper plants also doing well. Plants are in buckets or pots with gravel in the bottom. Have given them some miracle grow. Anyone any ideas what (if anything i am doing wrong)

WG.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:41 »
Hi JB and welcome.

Only thing I can see wrong is your expectations.  :)   I wouldn't expect tomatoes to grow in our short winter days.  Plus, I suspect it is too cold despite the efforts you describe.

But ... I've never tried it ... someone else may have a different angle on it.

WG.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 12:08 »
Also, please consider lengthening your username so that Search works (see Help topics in my signature)
 :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 13:35 »
My tomatoes in the polytunnel are finishing now.  I know your conservatory is warm, but like WG. says, its the daylight hours they need too.  I think the commercial people keep the lights on all day, but then most of our winter tomatoes in the shops come from sunnier climes.

Good luck with it all, whereabouts in Lincs re you JB?  We are just south of Boston!

gobs

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 13:53 »
If your peppers look OK, that makes me wonder about cold, unless their dif position in the room exposes the toms to some draught. Are the stalks near the ground healthy? Any chance of damping off?

Otherwise, I do not grow them in the winter, for lack of appropriate place, but who  does (and that's what I would do) grows on mature plants or cuttings of them, which would flower around now with heat and extra light.

I'm in doubt if young seedlings would produce flowers before the spring.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

milkman

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 17:59 »
I think that unfortunately you are simply trying to grow them at the wrong time of year.  

I would compost your plants and try again sowing fresh seed in the spring - you can start them off quite early on - february / march time, so once you get Christmas out the way you won't have long to wait.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

JohnB

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 22:48 »
Good luck with it all, whereabouts in Lincs re you JB?  We are just south of Boston![/quote]

Near Louth.

JohnB

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 22:54 »
Quote from: "milkman"
I think that unfortunately you are simply trying to grow them at the wrong time of year.  

Its a pity as they are growing very well other than losing bottom branches/leaves and they are in the same place as the peppers and all my salad leaves are doing well? Are you sure they won't grow at this time of year or that there isn't something i can do to help them. As i don't drive it is a pain just to cycle 8 miles to just get tomatos

JohnB

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 23:02 »
Are the stalks near the ground healthy?
The branches nearest the ground are the ones that are dieing and falling of.

Any chance of damping off?
Not sure what you mean

gobs

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:43 »
I mean the main stem, john, sorry. Just because stem and root rot can also cause browning of leaves.

milkman

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 11:16 »
i think if it was easy to grow and harvest tomatoes at this time of year we'd all be at it !  :)

JohnB

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 15:20 »
Quote from: "milkman"
i think if it was easy to grow and harvest tomatoes at this time of year we'd all be at it !

A really helpfull remark Thanks for nothing.

WG.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 15:23 »
Have you tried this before John?  Milkman is only echoing what all other posts (mine included) have been saying on your thread.

JohnB

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 15:34 »
Quote from: "WG."
Have you tried this before John?  Milkman is only echoing what all other posts (mine included) have been saying on your thread.

Milkman could put it better what's the point of making sniggering remarks?
Can i put a photo on for people to look at the plants? Also lighting, If i left ordinary light on at night would that help. If not how about lighting that the drugies use for Marijuana. Sorry cannot think of the name?

Selkie

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 16:06 »
Quote from: "JohnB"

Milkman could put it better what's the point of making sniggering remarks?

hi john B, i think that one of the things that makes this such a nice and friendly site is that people do feel comfortable to make gentle jokes; most people round here are very informal so please try and take it in the spirit it was meant.

xx
conservatory

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 13:52
by lucywil
xx
Seeds in a conservatory

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 16:29
by Annie
xx
what can I grow over winter in my conservatory?

Started by daisy1990 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 17:00
by daisy1990
xx
Leeks - when to sow seed in cold conservatory in Southern England?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 21:42
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.