Deformity of the pubic bone in pol

• 2 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Deformity of the pubic bone in pol
« on: February 26, 2012, 19:47 »
One of our girls, a rather healthy in all other ways Buff Orpington (called Cheesy Poof), has a deformity of her public bone. Basically she is haunched up over the right hand side with a little hunchback. It is something that developed as she grew (we had her as a chick) and although she has an odd walk and looks lopsided to say the least it appears to give her no pain. I am however a tad concerned as she is clearly about to come into lay.

Now, I also have a deformed duck with a similar pubic issue (I clearly attract them!) and she lays with no problems and is in fact the most prolific of the lot. I am worried with chickens not being quite so robust as ducks as to how Cheesy Poof will cope with laying though.

Has anybody else got a similar problem and if so what happened come lay? I don't actually care if she never lays me an egg as we will get plenty from all the other ladies, I just hate to think of her struggling or being in pain as she is such a cheeky happy little thing  :wub:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Deformity of the pubic bone in pol
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 19:47 »
I will try to get a photo of her tomorrow as well to show how she holds herself  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Deformity of the pubic bone in pol
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 20:35 »
don't think there is much you can do for her Caralou, just keep an eye on her to see if she does cope with the laying. If she is having problems you can get an implant to stop them laying if you want to go down that route.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Breast bone

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 22:59
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Help: chicken with toe stripped down to bone!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 20:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Healthy weight - "keel bone"?

Started by laurabee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 12:10
by andreadon

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 31 queries.