The decision no one wants to make.

• 31 Replies

NormandyMary

The decision no one wants to make.
« on: February 12, 2012, 20:01 »
My beautiful cat Phoebe went to the vets on Friday afternoon, as I noticed that she hadnt been eating, she'd lost weight and she was very frail and lethargic. After a set of blood tests, the results showed that she had liver problems causing jaundice and anaemia. The vet said that she had to stay in hospital to be put on a drip with drugs to help her liver. Yesterday I phoned and they said that she was a little better, and had managed to eat just minute bits, so I was pleased with that. However when I rang this morning, the vet said that she wasnt eating on her own, so I assume they had been doing it by syringe yesterday. The fact that she hasnt responded well to the drip makes me believe that something else is going on. She had a cancerous growth in her neck a few years ago, which was successfully removed, but the vet said then that she couldnt guarantee it wouldnt come back.
So tomorrow, I think Im going to have to make the ultimate decision as there is no way that I want my baby to suffer anymore. I know that Im not going to be letting her down but it will still break my heart. Phoebes has been the only "family cat" amongst our three, she was a real lap cat and when we were ill, she never left our sides.
Think of me tomorrow please, I need all the positive vibes I can get for support. Ive never had a pet put down before.

Mary.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: The decision no one wants to make.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 20:05 »
it is a truly hard thing to do, but the best for her, poor Phoebe  :(

She's had a good life, now all you can do is make the leaving easy for her, so yes, I'll think of you tomorrow

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 20:18 »
it really is the hardest decision to make but also the greatest act of kindness for your beloved  pet that you can do. My heart goes out to you xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 20:18 »
Heartbreaking but you have to do the right thing by Phoebe.  You'll know what is best for her, but it is not easy to make that decision.  Will be thinking of you Mary.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 20:21 »
I'll be thinking of you too Mary, you know its the best thing for her although so hard to do.

xx
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 20:39 »
Best of luck. It might be comforting to be able to bring her home and bury her and plant a favourite bush on her. We did that with our rabbit.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 20:48 »
We knew, with both our dogs that 'that moment' had come, no matter how hard the decision is you just know it's the right thing, will think of you tomorrow. Take heart it's the best thing you can do for Pheobe.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 20:57 »
Been down that road a few times myself and it's still very hard. But yes, if you love your pet, don't make them suffer. Take heart that she appreciates this token of love and friendship and that you didn't force her to prolong it.

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 22:21 »
I feel so deeply for you. I have a poorly elderly cat at the moment who is not suffering yet but I think I may be making the same decision very soon. Yes I am dreading it but although it is heartbreaking it is absolutely the right thing to do. It may be of no comfort to you now but it will be in time. She trusts you to look after her and that is exactly what you will be doing. I have had a pet put to sleep before and was amazed how quick and painless it was for them. I will be thinking of you x

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 16:29 »
We are all thinking of you Mary.  Our cat was very ill last year "poorly old cat" and we thought that her departure was imminent.  She is still with us and even went outside in the snow last week.  She is still old and frail but not in pain at the moment so we have to enjoy her company while we still have her. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 21:21 »
As Joyfull says, it is the kindest most loving act you can do for your cat. I have been with our lovely  dog and our beautiful 2 cats when we have had to have them put to sleep, all 3 times it was actually a lovely thing, if  a sad time can be lovely.   I hope you are ok Mary
Pamela

NormandyMary

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 18:40 »
Hi all. I went to the vets yesterday, all prepared to do what needed to be done, but when I saw Phoebe, I had quite a shock. She looked very alert indeed, bright eyed, although her third eyelid was over ever so slightly. She made straight for me purring like a train, wanting cuddles and kisses. She looked so much better than when I took her. I had a long chat with the vet who re-iterated that her condition was stable and she hadnt deteriorated, even though she was being fed by syringe and had vomited afterwards. We decided to hold fast for 2 days, and that she would be put on steroids to see if they helped. Well, I rang this morning for an update, and although still being fed by syringe, Phoebe hadnt thrown it back up. This is a major step forward and although Im not holding my breath or getting my hopes up too high, the future is suddenly not looking so bleak. I gave Phoebe a long talking to and told her that she had to get well, and Ive prayed to anyone who will listen that the steroids work and that she will eat by herself very soon.
Thankyou to everyone for your concerns, thoughts and good wishes. You are a really lovely lot!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 18:55 »
lets hope the big man upstairs is listening and we're all keeping our fingers crossed for you both.

love and hugs from us and the pooches.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Oliveview

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 19:09 »
What good news, I hope everything works out for Phoebe  :happy:

Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 20:23 »
fingers crossed xx

clip
So you want to make dinner do you....

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 09:34
by compostqueen
xx
pure gold PET pics that make you wee a little.. lol

Started by gizooty on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 12:32
by arugula

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 34 queries.