Changing compost?

• 4 Replies

oharabe

Changing compost?
« on: February 04, 2012, 16:24 »
Hello all, FIrst time on the board for me so my question is can I use the compost that I bought last year which I used to grow tomatoes last year. I did use tomorite when growing so there was some nutrition in the compost not sure whether I can use again, with added fertiliser, this year. Advice required please

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Changing compost?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 16:31 »
It's very difficult to exactly replace the nutrients which were taken up by your previous crop, and would be a particularly bad idea to re-use for members of the same family of plants (ie. potatoes or tomatoes) due to the risk of re-infection with any disease or pest you might have had last year (possibly without noticing.)

Far better to use as a mulch or general soil improver (same precautions) but you could try using it to grow something like herbs or lettuces after suitably improving the nutrient content.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

oharabe

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 16:38 »
Thanks for your quick response I must admit I thought that might be the case but it's nice to have things confirmed by some with more experience. Thanks

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 21:04 »
I regularly reuse compost and just add a general purpose fertilizer such as blood, fish and bone. It's fine for things like lettuce and radishes and after they've had their fill it goes onto the compost heap to get recycled again!

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 18:38 »
Most of my old compost goes on the bed for this years carrots. Some of it was dug in during the Autumn, the rest will be raked in nearer to sowing time. I find that this gives me a nice fine tilth for making the seed drills.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

question
Changing Weather

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2018, 09:36
by JayG
xx
Changing Seasons

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 19:18
by Fisherman
xx
The changing face of my allotment

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 08:01
by Doc
xx
Help!-Council changing allotment rules

Started by farnsbarnes on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 20:07
by digalotty

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.