cockerels

• 4 Replies

Denise 1963

cockerels
« on: October 22, 2011, 16:48 »
I brought 4 silkie chics at 3 weeks old and 3 have turn out to be cockerels,I live with open fields to the back of me,i went to see everyone who lives in my road to see if anyone had a problem with the noise no one had a problem with them in fact they loved to hear them crow and they are not that loud. My neighbours son came to say for the weekend and he complained that he go woke up over the weekend so the father had a right go at me and told me that they had to go,which i was'nt happy about i told him that that we would build something for the cockerels to go in at night so they would not crow untill i let them out @8am in the week and 830-9 on a weekend, anyway to cut a long story short the father and son have both threatened myself any my birds so i had to call the police in,now he has gone to the council to complain which i have received my letter so i tried to complain about the valeting and the noise he makes the council would not take my complaint as it would be tit for tat .i will try to do all i can to keep the cockerels as they are my pets any suggestions :(

bantam novice

Re: cockerels
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 17:22 »
Hello Denise,

I am sorry to hear about the hassle that you have been having.  We can all get attached to our hens and cockerels.

I think the suggestions you have made to contain the problem are quite reasonable; however the complainants clearly don't.

That does not give them the right to threaten you or your birds and you were right to call the police if you felt yourself to be in danger.

However Councils do have the right to ask you to get rid of your cockerels if they have had a complaint.  I cannot quote chapter and verse but the noise of a cockerel crowing can be taken as a nuisance.

You can put your case to the Council and ask them to arbitrate.  You can suggest that they come out and see our set up and where you are prepared to keep the cockerels at night.

Good luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:19 »
My cockerels have still crowed from their coop. Sorry :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

leddenton

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 15:03 »
Sorry to hear of your situation. I have a 5mnth old boy who hasn't crowed yet but will be interesting how my neighbours react when he does.Hope it works out for you

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:50 »
Is it possible to bring the cockerels inside overnight?  I know quite a few poeple who house their cockerels in cat boxes over night then let them out at about 8am.

Having said that, if you can make your coop completely dark, then it will reduce the crowing until you let them out.

xx
cockerels

Started by wendy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 22:24
by John
xx
how many cockerels?

Started by Deano27 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 23:50
by tstainesmoore
xx
cockerels for the pot!

Started by Sammy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:54
by Sammy
xx
Cockerels

Started by Carolann on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 13:18
by Carolann

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 35 queries.