Laying problem

• 7 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Laying problem
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:58 »
Hello!

Since she came into lay Delia our Legbar has been having troubles laying.  This has been going on for about a month now, I had hoped it would calm down and sort it's self out but no luck so far!

Basically every three days Delia lays three eggs overnight... Two are usually shell less or very soft and one tends to be ok.  She has managed to lay one egg with a solid shell in the nest box and she has spent some time sitting in the nest box putting bedding on her back (very cute  ::)).  Last night we had one with no shell, one with a soft spot but a mainly solid shell and one that was fine.  It's almost like she is producing too many eggs to shell if that makes sense  :wacko:  She seems to lay them off her perch as well.

She has layers pellets available all day, a few greens in the morning and a small handful of corn/ wheat mix and a couple of other treats like mealworms or grapes in the evening at 6pm (between four of them).  They have a handful of mixed grit in the evenings as well mixed in with their corn/ wheat.

Not sure what else I can do for her... Do you think it will sort its self out over time?  I'm just worried incase she retains part of a softie and that leads to further complications... hasn't happened yet but it's a worry!

Any advice appreciated  ???

And just to add her sister Legbar is laying a perfect egg every day and the other one of our hens is also laying one a day.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:03 by Nicki85 »

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: Laying problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 23:12 »
Hi all again,
Just wanted to give you an update been in touch with Delia's breeder and he thinks that it is either a long term psychological problem or she has egg drop syndrome :-(  poor delia! He thinks that she is unlikely to get better as she has been like it for a month already.

He has offered a full refund or a replacement and I can return her if I want. I don't think I'll be able to get rid of her as she is such a lovely girl so she will stay with us even if she doesn't lay! We have room for a couple more so that may be an option.

Any thoughts or experiences anyone can share? I might try adding some mineral powder and trying the usual tricks for softies to see if that helps.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 23:15 »
I'm sorry you've had no replies Nicki, but this is something I've never seen before!

I'm not much help, but I just wanted to wish you luck with her!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:06 »
That's a very puzzling thing - I also haven't come across it before and I've been doing a lot of reading about chickens in the last few months!

My only suggestion would be to keep her general health in the best possible condition you can.  Make sure she has the best balanced diet possible, plenty of fresh water, warm, dry living quarters, and no extra challenges to her health (eg worms, red mite or other parasites).  All this sounds really obvious, but her very unusual laying pattern must be causing a strain on her system, so keeping her in the best health might be the only thing you can do.

Also keep a close eye on her to make sure she's not getting picked on.  I would imagine on her egg-laying day she's probably pretty exhausted!

Also look into some avian-specific multi vitamins that you could add to her water to make sure she's getting everything she needs.  Apparently it is the only recommended treatment for egg-drop syndrome (for which there is no cure).

What a lucky girl Delia is, to have gone to a home where the people care so much for her. :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:34 »
So sorry to hear of your problem and I cannot offer any help. I just wanted to say it is a shame all breeders are not like the one you used and take responsibility for their sales. At least you know where to go to get more chooks. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48 »
Thanks everyone  :)
I do feel sorry for her and we will keep a close eye on here general health, as you say it must be pretty hard work producing three eggs without shells over night.  :ohmy:  Luckily the flock is usually fairly relaxed so not to much bullying- will keep an eye out though!  It does make sense why she is at the bottom of the pecking order, the others must know there is something wrong!

My only concern now is that if it is Egg Drop Syndrome that the others might be able to catch it.  Will have to look into that.

Yes, the breeder has been fab from day one  :closedeyes:

I'm going to pick up some multivits to just make sure she is in tip-top health.  I'll keep you posted on how she gets on!

Last night she managed one egg with paper thin shell and one with no shell  :blink: 

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:53 »
Long shot I know but haveyou tried some calcium added to her diet. I know you say that she is over producing but what if she is not producing enough calcium to produce the eggs.

One of mine laid soft shell that was followed by a hard shell and visa versa one morning one afternoon. I fed her calcium for a few days and this sorted it. Every now and again it wopul start up so i would feed her calcium again. (half a grape dunked in calium powder)

worth a try eh

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:38 »
I was also going to suggest trying a bit more calcium. Cut out all treats for a while and sprinkle some extra calcium on the pellets, or you could roast some empty eggs shells in the oven, crush them up and sprinkle on the pellets (same thing). It might not work but it's worth a try.

xx
Egg laying problem

Started by felicity45 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 13:47
by Casey76
clip
Problem hen laying an egg

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 13, 2017, 10:06
by Tom Parrot
xx
egg laying problem

Started by angiej on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:15
by rachelr
xx
Gerty's got a laying problem

Started by Aunt Sally on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 13:58
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 36 queries.