hello & clay soil

• 7 Replies
hello & clay soil
« on: June 15, 2011, 21:59 »

hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. My daughter has moved and has a garden the size of an allotment plot. She has asked her dad to 'do something with it'. So there is a lot of enthusiasm but not much experience. I have turned over some of the soil after hacking down knee length grass and found it to heavy and clay based. How do I turn this into something easier to work with.

cheers

Springlands

Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 14:21 »
Hi Colonel Mustard - welcome to the site. You might find the attached link about clearing a new plot useful. Really it all comes down to hard work - I am just working on a new veggie plot in my own garden and it has been a slow process. Best advice is a bit at a time - do not rush or you just get tired and fed up. Try to get one area cleared and plant something that will grow quickly - say salad crops or french beans just so that you have something for this year and then work get the rest of the plot in really good condition for the start of the growing season next year. Good gardening  :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 15:53 »
Welcome to the fun factory lots of advice here for all your allotment needs
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 16:01 »
Hi welcome to the site :D
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 16:13 »
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like "Super-Dad" to the rescue.  ;)

Take it easy and mind your back... a little at a time gets you there PDQ.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 20:16 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to move this question over to Grow Your Own for more people to see it.  I've also taken the liberty of expanding the thread title so people can tell what it's about from the board index.

As far as I'm aware, the answer to improving soil structure is always to add organic matter: well rotted manure, compost, leaf mould etc.  Adding lime can also help on clay soils but I wouldn't bung any in until you knew a) what the current pH (acidity etc) of the soil is, and b) what is going to be grown there first.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 20:17 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: hello & clay soil
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 20:52 »
Hi there, welcome

Had clay soil and to be honest the best thing to do is just roughly break up the soil with a fork, remove any weeds you can find and get some sharp sand and cheap compost, spread the sand/compost all over the soil and hire a petrol rotivator and break the soil that way. its less heart ache and will take less time. all you need to do is hold the rotivator nice and strong and let it dig its way down. they have a clutch so should it hit very hard soil and stops turning then just get it out of the way and break it with a fork.

really work the soil with the rotivator and it should break up

PG

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Re: hello & clay soil
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 22:35 »
From what I understand (I also have inherited a plot with heavy clay on it) the following are tools/methods you can use to improve the soil structure:

Dig deep (double dig if possible)
Dig in lots of organic matter (manure/compost/leafmold etc)
Mix in sharp sand to improve drainage.

Liming, if particularly acidic (and clay soils tend to be), will help the soil form nice little crumbs.

If you're sowing a green manure, one of the ryes (grazing rye, maybe? but check that) has a root system that helps break up the soil

Try not to walk on the soil too much, or it will compact and drive out all the air

There is a product available called 'Claybreaker' - but I think it's expensive, probably not suitable for a large area, and I'm not even sure what's in it!!

If drainage is particularly poor, or you really find the soil isn't working for you, you could consider building raised beds.

But at least clay soils have lots of nutrients in them!!

Good luck....

xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
Clay Soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 12:19
by WebSiteEvo
xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey
xx
Clay soil

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:37
by al78

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 37 queries.