What age to wing clip

• 6 Replies

Chickway

What age to wing clip
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:13 »
Hi everyone.  I have some 10 week old chicks and would like to let them out for an hour in the garden with close supervision.  I am worried though that they will take flight.  What age can I clip their wings?  I have watched the video someone put on my last post which is very informative but could not find anything that said what age to do this.

Many thanks. x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What age to wing clip
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:22 »
I wing clipped my first two hens when I got them at 18 weeks old however this didn't stop them from flying. Have your chicks got all their proper feathers? If so then you could clip just one wing but personally I wouldn't bother. Since those first two I haven't bothered clipping with the exception of my first two guinea fowl and that was only because one of those used to fly over the beck but couldn't fly back and used to shout out at four in the morning  ::). ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chickway

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31 »
Maybe I will give it a go with close supervision and see how they go.  It would be better not to have to do it if its not necessary.  I have quite a large garden so any tips on rounding them up when its time to go in would be much appreciated.  I can just imagine the whole family running round the garden trying to get them in, ha ha.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:35 »
if you keep some of their treats in a container and rattle it they will soon come running. Start training them to that today - give the container a good shake before you give them a few treats and by the end of the week they will sooon recognise that sound and come running  :D

Junie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:38 »
I clip my smaller birds, and the Sussex seem to be able to fly well. My Co-Nu's hardly manage to get off the ground!  We only clip them once they have shown they can fly high enough!
As for rounding them up, We call BoBo's and have the same treat tin each time, sometimes we knock the tin with something metal. Most of them tend to come running then follow us up to the hen house!  Occasionally there is the odd wayward bird, but it is much easier to find one or two than all of them.  
Our neighbour just has to shout Pop Pop and his come running - no sign of treats though!!

We try to call something that we would not normally call them during the day, like Chooks or Chickies!!!

Chickway

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:40 »
Thanks joyful.  A bit like what I do with my dogs then I have a container with treats in by the back door and give it a shake when I want them in.  

You forget that chickens are quite clever too.  I will start today and see how we go.  They have learnt that when I put my hand out there are usually meal worms on it. x

Chickway

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:44 »
It seems the treat thing is the important bit.  I would prefer not to have to clip.  I have a 3 year old chicken and shes lovely but has got a bit tame and I found her in the dog bed the other day digging about like the dogs do to make the bed comfy.  And then yesterday I found her up on the kitchen sink having a nosey about.  Also yesterday one of the dogs birthday so they all had bones and she was trying to pinch their bones.  She is lovely with alot of character.  The worrying bit is we found her trying to fly up a 7 foot hedge.  She has never got up on the kitchen sides and am worried she is getting a bit flighty.

xx
To clip or not to clip - help

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 15:29
by storme37
xx
clip or not to clip...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 22:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 16:06
by tosca100
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 20:37
by bramford

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 33 queries.