Enough for my girls?

• 13 Replies

emmaellis

Enough for my girls?
« on: February 19, 2011, 17:50 »
My garden was destroyed completely by my 3 chooks and since the winter it's a mudbath so I have finally built them a covered walk-in run and stop them free ranging completely.

It's 3.6 x 2.2m in size and I'm hoping that will be adequate. I've used extra strong poultry cage netting and a semi clear monotarp roof.
 Their house in raised within this and they have hardwood chips to dig in, an old tyre filled with topsoil to dustbathe, and a few logs of different heights to peck/perch on.

They seem very happy/content since being confined a week ago but is there anything else that anyone recommends (apart from fox proofing)?

Thanks,
Emma.

P.S I built it all on my own with no 'man' help! So give it a go girls!

bantam novice

Re: Enough for my girls?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 19:25 »
Good for you Emmaellis,  it would be great to see some pics.  you may want to get an electric fence around the enclosure to deter foxes.  Good Luck.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 19:55 »
Keep adding and removing interesting activities. Just like a new puppy they will get board with the same old same old. So move the dust bath occasionally. Go for a country walk and put some sturdy bows in the run for the chickens to perch on and change them round from time to time. Hang interesting food like a whole cabbage or leaves so they have to jump or stretch a little, maybe make a little hiding place, just so one can go in if it's feeling a little glum. A few breeze blocks to climb and perch on etc. You get the idea. Think zoo keeper making environment enhancement.

OL

emmaellis

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 20:17 »
Hi All,

Thanks, I'll get a chicken 'toy box' started and rotate the bits and bobs! As for a photo.... it appears I can handle a power tool better than a PC! Seem unable to post one on here :blush:

emmaellis

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 20:52 »
Still trying to upload photo! :unsure:
My effort.jpg

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 21:04 »
Wow,

It looks beautiful, have you considered designing and building your own home?

My hens have a couple of bushes in their pen which they like to hide in. One of them is a blackcurrant bush and when the blackcurrants are ripening it looks so funny to see my big fat ungainly chickens balancing on a delicate twig trying to reach a far out berry! They don't seem to damage the leaves too much though so the bush is doing fine. The other bush is a fast growing thing which has yellow flowers on it in the summer - not very good on bush names! It is quite a common thing.

I give mine lettuce and make different climbing frames for them to perch on. They also have a nice view out to the village rec so people come by and talk to them.

Bev

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 21:13 »
Hi Emmaellis!

That's not an 'effort', that's a 'brilliant'!

Well Done! I'm jealous.

Pertelotte

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 19:11 »
Lovely house  :)  You can be proud of yourself.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 19:38 »
Well done. Well done indeed. It's nice being able to build things with your own two hands. :D and have it turn out so Lovely =) that calls for a pat on the back and a nice cold drink.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

eggsfactor

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 21:18 »
Hi there,
It is really good to hear how everyone keeps their chickens occupied. I have 3 and a couple of weeks ago went to their lovely spacious pen to find one had been pecked with open wound. Since then have spent probably too much time worrying about boredom.
they love broccolli and cabbages hung ,also the grit blocks. Lettuce dissapears in a flash but fear it gives them the runs!I have also put bark chippings down to scratch through and throw dead leaves in from time to time.
All seems to have settled despite I now have a purple bottomed chick -she kept an adhesive dressing on for a week to cover the wound
This chicken keeping lark is all very stressful :)

emmaellis

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 23:11 »
Thank-you all for your kind comments and advice.

This afternoon I tried suspending a bunch of greens from the roof and I must say they reminded me of kids playing swingball!
Together with 'tomato rugby' my girls should qualify for the 2012 chicken olympics  :lol:

Emma.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 00:54 »
VERY impressive!
maybe you can put a strong mesh flat on the floor round the run so the fox can't dig in, grass  could grow through it so you wouldn't know it was there (or maybe it is there and I can't see it  :)
I like  the idea of 'poultry toys' I wonder if the dogs ball (which you put dog treats in and the dog has to move the ball round to get them out) would work, with suitable corn or treats of course, might try some of these ideas when I keep mine in sometimes.

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 04:30 »
wow  that looks fantastic, looks very easy to care for to .
you have  lucky girls :lol:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 05:49 »
I like  the idea of 'poultry toys' I wonder if the dogs ball (which you put dog treats in and the dog has to move the ball round to get them out) would work, with suitable corn or treats of course...

I think that's a very good idea.  I made a toy for my pet fish based on that concept.  I used the container out of a 'Kinder Surprise' egg.  Punched holes in it, put a marble inside (to make it sink) then put fish food in it.  The fish have to move it around on the bottom of the tank to get their food out.  They got the hang of it pretty quickly.

I also use a cork and a piece of tring to hang some of their food mid-water, so they have to work for their food and don't get bored.

Some of my fish are now 12 years old.  I can't imagine being cooped up in a tank for 12 years, so I try to enrich their lives with toys.

xx
2 new girls

Started by violet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 09:42
by violet
xx
How do I know if my girls are too fat?

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 20:12
by too many girls
xx
New Girls

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 20:03
by Madrat
sad
Not sure if one of my girls is ill ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 22:27
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 38 queries.