Dying chickens

• 7 Replies

bacchus51

Dying chickens
« on: January 25, 2011, 23:50 »
Not having a good run at the moment. One of my 5 original hens wasted away over a long period before dying. Got 2 more birds to replace her, then one of those also died 3 days later(I believe from heat stess and stress from the move). The girl I bought her from gave me a replacement which also died one week later. Possibly pecked to death as they were all confined to the coop being a stormy 2 days. I had her apart for the week prior and they seemed to be integrated, but I was mistaken.Now one of my originals is poorly and is also wasting away slowly and appears a couple of days from death.
 I've wormed them and treated for coccidiocous about 3 months ago. I'm nearly at my wits end. Nothing seems to be working. I'm now worming them again.
They have all got pasty vents although the poo looks normal on all but the older one which has diarrhea.

hillfooter

Re: Dying chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 00:25 »
Not much in the way of symptoms to go on here so i think a trip to the vet is your best course of action and the sooner the better.
HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:32 »
I agree with HF and you need to get one to a vet as soon as possible. The pasty vent is not good. Do they have rattly chests or any other symptoms? As they not eating they could have vent gleet and eating could be too painful for them so they could do swabs for that. What is your cleaning routine for their coop? What materials do you put on the floor and in their nest boxes?
There are so many things it could be but the information you have provided is very little.
Why do you think one died from heat stress? What heat are you giving them? Do they have ventilation in their coop? Do you have too many in the coop for the space allocated?
Vets visit today please.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:26 »
Please isolate any future replacements for 2 to 3 weeks before introducing to flock. However, you really need to sort out what is wrong with the existing flock before adding more birds. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bacchus51

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 23:52 »
Please isolate any future replacements for 2 to 3 weeks before introducing to flock. However, you really need to sort out what is wrong with the existing flock before adding more birds. Good luck :)

Hi Joyfull, I'm in the southern hemisphere, so mid Summer here. It was a very hot day when the first 2 arrived and although shown the water container this healthy bird was soon dead.
The other bird died yesterday evening by the way and like the first one, wasted away over a long period. Respiration good. Found worms in the poos of the others so guessing she had worms too. Wormed them previously as I said but noticed they don't (and didn't) drink much when drugs are added to water so maybe worming was previously not effective.
Coop was new 1 year ago and is 1.5 sq. m for 5 birds which I clean every 1-2 weeks. (shallow coarse sawdust, straw in nest).Ventilation is good but no through-vent. unless I open the lid; which I do now.
The second new bird went from very healthy to dead in half a day probably from bullying when would not go outside during storm (although no visible signs of damage).
The other birds wasted away over about a month and the only signs were :  pasty vent, decline in eating and drinking, less mobile, and (near the end) no energy to feed at all.
Had a total of 4 die like this over 12 months.
I am using Aviverm for worming but directions do not give how many days to use it nor frequency of repeat use. The directions implied a once-only application but birds hesitant to drink, so I'm using it in water for a few days to be sure this time.

Twinkie002

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:46 »
Our poultry breeder friend had a similar problem to this.  His birds all lived in absolute luxury, runs moved to fresh grass every few days, wormed, vitamins, etc.  He was really worried and called a DEFRA vet in, and they discovered that the birds were suffering a very heavy worm burden.  The type of wormer he was using (Vermex) did not have any effect on the type of worms his birds had - so their poultry vet administered Flubenvet wormer and within days, all the flocks were back to normal, with no more deaths.  However, a new bird dying within a couple of days -  I don't know whether that could be put down to the same thing?

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22 »
Agree with advice above for worming (see posts on Flubenvet for how others do it) and, if you can, ask a vet. Suggest don't put any treatment in water - this is human potable water isn't it? - but see it is changed daily and you could put a tiny bit of sugar in it for taste and energy. Give them all a good bath and wash out the coop at the same time. Move it to a different place to dry and use. To get them eating try grapes; cut into small pieces and offer by hand. HTH

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:06 »
Never used aviverm but googling it found that somebody suggested putting cranberry juice in the water to hide the taste. Mix water with the cranberry juice first - taste it yourself to check the strenght and then add the aviverm. Do not overdose with the aviverm but repeat agin after 14 days. Do not eat eggs or the meat (if you have meat birds) for 5 days after treatment.
I can only assume that aviverm has a bitter taste to it which will be why they aren't drinking enough of the solution.

xx
Dying chickens

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 21:04
by Spacey
xx
Dying Chickens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:33
by Vember
xx
Chickens dying

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 17:07
by nerdle
xx
My chickens are getting splayed legs and dying!!

Started by Richard Boomer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 16:32
by Spana

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 35 queries.