Clean Coop

• 12 Replies

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
Clean Coop
« on: January 05, 2011, 18:29 »
I have been having problems with cleaning my chickens out!!!I put newspaper under the hay during the extreme snow!!!But after I had trouble cleaning up the newspaper and obviously it was warm because my chickens survived the winter!!!!So I want advice on how to stop the newspaper sticking to the floor of the coop so I can proceed to using the newspaper!!!!!
CALLUM LAWTON :)

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: Clean Coop
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 19:04 »
I personally wouldn't bother with paper. I would just go straight in and use something like easibed or hemcore.
Alan

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 19:09 »
A scattering of sand would work.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 19:14 »
Mine have a deep bed of Bliss/Hempcore which cleans beautifully and is composted :D

How do you spell Hempcore?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 19:17 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Oakdalebirds

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 19:19 »
I only use wood shavings and they go straight in to a metal bin for burning .
bit of a waste some would say but it works for me

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 22:47 »
I have linings for my hen houses made from Marquee fabric i had been using feed sacks split up the side but encountered the same problem as you as they get rapidly soggy even with bedding on top. I'm sure if you went along to a decent sign writer he could cut you one to size. so the liner goes in then a lovely layer of Aubiose (like Hempcore). When it comes to cleaning the house out completely I shovel a bit of the poopy Aubiose out ( because I'm short, round and not strong enough) and then roll the marquee lining up and slip it into the bin bag. Any soggy bit's left either brush off with a stiff hand brush or wash off with the hose pipe. Job done.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 22:50 »

How do you spell Hempcore?

on the bag it says hemcore

Ah, there's the problem, I buy Bliss :lol:

Beano

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06 »
Ours is only a small coop (for 5 chix) and I have a lino. on the floor then wood shavings. Once a week I just pick up the lino. square and tip it into the compost heap. It makes cleaning very easy. The coop is up on a stand, so I dont even have to bend down. My husband made it as easy as possible for me because there is no way that he can go anywhere near any poo (he's a towny). I was brought up on a farm and it doesnt bother me at all.
El.

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31 »
Hi

I have lined the coop with an old bit of lino and cover it with wood shavings, it is easy to roll up and tip into bags or onto the compost heap, then you can hose it down and the job is done.

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53 »
I use a bin liner at the bottom (to stop any moisture getting to the wooden floor), then about 2 layers of newspaper and then bedding on top. When I clean out the hen house I just roll up the newspaper with the bedding inside and dispose of it (well thats the theory, I still manage to drop bits over the garden though!).
Helen

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 13:47 »
I used wadges of paper under woodchip last year.  Didn't have aproblem?  Shouldn't be getting wet and nasty??!!  Have you got enough ventilation?

This year, didn't bother with paper, but used a very thick layer of bedding.  Prefer Hemcore but had to have Nedz Bedz instead.  If layer is thick enough, you just keep poo picking and fluffing it up every day, and it lasts for ages, and lovely and snuggly!

jinty1911

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 16:42 »
I put down 5 newspapers and morning lift off the top layer until I get to a dry layer, roll up and bin it.  Top up as required and replace the lot once a week.  Only takes seconds and house in always clean.
Jinty

swedishchicken

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 22:01 »
Hi,
I use shredded paper which works really well. Invest in a good shreader and you will have free bedding. All of a sudden junk mail is useful  :)  Just dont use the glossy paper, it doesnt absorb anything.
Also straw works well but dont use hay. It can give them respiratory problems, so a big no no.

Good luck

xx
clean coop

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 21:22
by dizzylizzie
xx
How often and how do you clean out the coop?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 11:32
by chick with chicks
question
What shall i use to spring clean coop?

Started by crem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 21:53
by orchardlady
xx
Best cleaner and tools to clean out your coop??

Started by infowarrior on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 20:46
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 34 queries.