Catching Ducks

• 5 Replies

knoxxie

Catching Ducks
« on: November 09, 2010, 16:54 »
I am shortly moving house and currently have 2 call ducks and a peking duck that I am hoping to take with me. They have never gone into a house at night as they sleep on an island in the middle of the lake. They are fed daily on the island as there is a bridge over to them. They roam all over the garden and adjoining paddocks grazing - especially in the morning.

Has anyone any suggestions on catching them? I have tried putting a dog cage on the island and putting some food in there, but they are not keen  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Catching Ducks
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 17:16 »
a big net - like what fishermen use.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 17:29 »
If you do not have a rocket net  :) make a trap from the cheap plastic bird netting which looks less menacing than a wire cage. Two people with a garden cane each tied to opposite corners and the other two corners pegged down near to their feeding place. Have fun. :)

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 17:47 »
If possible try to construct an area that you can funnel them into to catch, as suggested garden wire and a few people to help will make a huge difference. Oh and I would also advise not to wear your best party frock.... :lol:

knoxxie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 13:10 »
Thank you all for your advice. It is very much appreciated. Unfortunately a few nights ago we can only assume a fox attacked the Peking duck. We did manage to catch her and take her to the vet. However when examined by the vet it was clear there was much more damage including internally. So we had to say goodbye to Holly :(

The 2 little call ducks are very much older and we think, especially as the people buying the house are very happy to keep feeding them on the island each day, that we will not put them through the stress of moving.

Somewhere down the line we will no doubt start again - we have met a local farmer near our new house who puts in traditional clay lined ponds, so may look at that.

Thanks again for advice.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 13:35 »
Sorry to hear about poor Holly, good luck with a future pond

xx
New Ducks

Started by Indiana on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 10:58
by pekinpete
xx
Ducks

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2015, 08:39
by tosca100
xx
Ducks...

Started by chasechicken on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 10:04
by swisschicken
question
Ex-battery Ducks???

Started by Caralou on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 15:23
by scabs

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.