Red Mite on the ground!!

• 3 Replies

sarahjane

Red Mite on the ground!!
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:57 »
I am having serious problems with red mite.  I have now got rid of my fantastic wooden chicken coop and replaced with a metal shed from Argos!!The nesting boxes are now plastic crates, the food and water containers are plastic as is the box they are kept in.  I do have a wooden perch as we have not managed to find one that is not wooden as yet. The perch has been treated for red mite with everything I can think of.  The chickens are all happy and laying but everytime I go anywhere near them I end up covered in red mite.  I had a bonfire on the ground where the original house was to see if I could kill anything that was in the ground. I am just about to make up a mix of Red Mite Concentrate and literally spray all the ground in their pen. Will this work or is their a better solution.

Sarah

Casey76

Re: Red Mite on the ground!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:57 »
A metal shed is a bad hen house.  It will be stifling in the heat, and freezing cold and damp during the winter... sorry :(

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 14:06 »
Apparantly the mites can live on the ground for up to 2 weeks, what type of mite killer are you using? Have you tried poultry shield, that seems to be the best.

sarahjane

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 15:51 »
Have tried allsorts Mite Kill Sray, Barrier Red Mite powder.  I was going to spray the ground with Barrier Red Mite Concentrate do you think it will work or is their something specifically for the ground I can try.

xx
Red mite in the ground

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 17:36
by AmandaH
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 33 queries.