Sugar

• 36 Replies

Elcie

Sugar
« on: June 13, 2010, 20:45 »
Lots of us buy sugar either for preserving or making alcohol.  Can I ask that you post on here your cheap bargains in response to sugar?

At the moment Asda have 2 for £1.50 on 1kg packs of sugar, therefore 75p per kilo.  Anyone got anything cheaper?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Sugar
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 23:56 »
Our old Woolworth's was taken over by QD and I noticed last time I was in there that their sugar was 65p or 69p for a bag

And their Nescafe 200gms of Coffee was £2.39!  I never buy my coffee from the ordinary supermarkets now, the cheap shops have the stuff that is meant for the european market, so its a bit stronger than the english stuff, but half the price!

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:09 »
I buy my granulated in Asda in 5kg bags, not a bad price all told

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:35 »
Do these bargains also apply to jam sugar?

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 14:17 »
I'm afraid not. Though I did once manage to get jam sugar down to 69p in Sainsburys and bought the lot!
Val
Recipes Galore!

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 15:30 »
Well done you.  I suppose it's worth paying the extra to make sure the end product is the best.

Val H

• Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 17:41 »
Or add your own pectin stock, liquid (certo) pectin or Silver Spoon dry pectin and use ordinary granulated sugar. This usually works out a lot cheaper than jam sugar. :D :D :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 17:46 »
I've never used the pectin, some recipes add lemon juice or citric acid, or even apple to help set don't they.
The only thing that is maybe a bit runny is Strawberry jam, perhaps I'll try some this year..just for that one though  ;)

the pound shop had sugar (1.5k)  but that was a couple of weeks ago :(

Livinhope

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 19:55 »
Sad I know, but I love strawberry jam.  I recently bought a copy of the Harrisons book on jams and chutneys and it wasn't until reading that I realised that there was such a thing as jam sugar.  I always used preserving sugar and have never had any success with strawberry so this time I have bought jam sugar in readiness.  I don't mind paying a bit more if the end product is worth it.

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 21:55 »
I've never used preserving sugar, just good ol' granulated with a drop of pectin if needed or lemon juice

Livinhope

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 22:27 »
I can't get around to seek out the bargains, but I do want my strawberry jam to go right this year so jam sugar it is. preserving for the rest.  Question:  I've used the liquid Certo in the past but never heard of the powder form, do all the supermarkets sell it?

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 22:31 »
Jam sugar works so easily for strawberry jam!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Val H

• Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 22:45 »
I can't get around to seek out the bargains, but I do want my strawberry jam to go right this year so jam sugar it is. preserving for the rest.  Question:  I've used the liquid Certo in the past but never heard of the powder form, do all the supermarkets sell it?
It's mentioned in our book..........Morrison's, Asda and some Co-ops have it. Must admit though that the reason I bought up the stock of jam sugar was for Strawberry Jam, it's the one I have problems with - though I have managed it as well with the Silver Spoon dry pectin.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 22:52 by Val H »

Livinhope

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 23:21 »
Would I use both the jam sugar and pectin or is it one or the other.

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 23:39 »
Over here we don't have special jam sugar, we use just ordinary white granulated sugar, but most of us also use powdered pectin. However, we have various grades of white sugar and the cheaper ones don't give you as clear a jelly if you enter competitions and such where it matters, or are just plain fussy like my sister  :D

Forgot to add, that like Val, when there's a good sale on sugar I stock up. Not unusual to see 20 to 40 2K bags on my shelves.

xx
Best buy Sugar 2013 ?

Started by 8doubles on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 16:35
by SCassin
xx
Cheap sugar

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 22:41
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 35 queries.