Poultry and Pets > Chicken Chat

hens in an allotment

(1/2) > >>

micky.b:
I have had my allotment for 5yrs plus now and i want to keep hens. I have just renovated the old tennats hen house and plan to keep about six to eight hens. I have made a fence around with the mesh panels you see around building sites six foot high and eight foot long. I have four of these next to my hen house.One allotment holder has complained to the council about me and  we are having a meeting regarding the issue.The complainer is saying i have no right to put up this fence, and they don't like looking at my hen house.My fence is not permanent as it clips together and the base is a plastic block, i have this sunk two feet into the ground so mr fox will not get in.Has anyone got any advice for me as to where i stand? plus the houses are new builds and the allotments have been there long before them, so the complainer new they were buying next to allotments.

8doubles:
If they purchased a house next to allotments they should expect to see sheds and similar structures.
If you paint the wire fencing black it is far less visable , better for you and the whinging neighbour. :)

newatthis:
hi and welcome, not sure what to say but i have that sort of fencing around my chicken coop as i didnt have the funds to build with wire mesh but you may find a lot of people that sort of fencing around their coops... but let us know how the meeting goes

Elcie:
Good luck with this.  I guess it will come down to the rules of your allotment site.  If they allow chickens and structures to house chickens then I can't see there being a problem.

lisa80:
It depends on whats in your contract i think.Ours states we are allowed a few chickens but no mention of ducks or geese therefore they are not allowed.If it mentions chickens then you should be ok .has anyone else got chickens down there? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version