Pigs on allotments?...

• 14 Replies

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
Pigs on allotments?...
« on: December 10, 2009, 13:03 »
Does anyone know if it possible to keep pigs on an allotment?  The lottie is owned by the village church rather than a local authority so I'm hoping they may be more accommodating but is there anything I should know before I suggest it to them?

We have chooks but at home, there are no livestock on the allotments (yet)

Cheers all

:tongue2:
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

underhill

Re: Pigs on allotments?...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 14:40 »
You may be lucky as it's Church land ,but usually you may only keep hens (not cockerels), rabbits and bees, providing the main use is growing vegetables, fruit and flowers.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 15:09 »
Are there other plots on the land?  If there are, the other tenants might be a bit wary of pigs.  I confess if anyone wanted to raise pigs on our site, I wouldn't be very supportive.  Any escapees would cause a lot of damage very quickly, and with the best will in the world, pigs are clever and accidents happen.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

poppies

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 17:57 »
Hi have to agree with madcat, we keep pigs and sometimes use them in the veg plot  to clear areas and belive me you know they have been there after a couple of hours, you would have to have very secure fencing -although alot of people keep them in with a couple of strands of electric fencing but havent tried it ourselves.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 19:09 »
i hot a big NO to keeping them on my council plot in Liverpool!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 11:37 »
Crikey, there's a lot to think of isn't there?

Ok, so it might be ok cos it's church land...there are other plots and plotholders but it is a small site at present, only 16 plots so I could feasably ask all of the other plotters what their thoughts are.
We know a couple (through landshare) who keep pigs (weaners) and keep them in with electric fencing with no problems so that seems to be the way forward...also the pigs seem to protect their hens and ducks too!
I suppose I could always offer the pigs 'help' to turn over the other plots at the end of the season, saves a whole lot of digging!:)
Ideally I am looking to get a couple of weaners in spring and feed them till Nov/Dec and keep one for our freezer...if I can persuade my OH to eat something we have raised  :ohmy:

madcat

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20 »
You could always try a little bribery and corruption with fellow plotholders???  The promise of some sausages maybe?   :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 17:54 »
I'd have concerns if I was one of the other neighbours, on a couple of points:

- will they have enough room on a standard size plot?  They grow to large animals and I imagine would need a fair amount of room to roam / roll about in etc

- how will they be secured?  It will partly depend on the strength of your fencing.  Do the plots have fencing at the moment or will you be altering the character of the site by enclosing part of it?  Is there electricity to the site for electric fencing?

- is there water to the site at present?

- what does your allotment tenancy say at the moment?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 21:43 »
Surely this would not be legal as to have pigs (livestock) you have to have a holding number for the movement and transportation of stock. Without a holding number you would be owning unregistered stock??
mrs.ploppy

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 13:24 »
I'd have concerns if I was one of the other neighbours, on a couple of points:

- will they have enough room on a standard size plot?  They grow to large animals and I imagine would need a fair amount of room to roam / roll about in etc

- how will they be secured?  It will partly depend on the strength of your fencing.  Do the plots have fencing at the moment or will you be altering the character of the site by enclosing part of it?  Is there electricity to the site for electric fencing?

- is there water to the site at present?

- what does your allotment tenancy say at the moment?

Golly!:)

Currently we have a single allotment but I was thinking of taking on another next year specifically for the weaners so they would have plenty of room.
There is no electric but a solar powered electric fence would be ok and not look too intrusive.  The site itself is a corner of a field and isn't fenced in as such.  It has hedgerow to 2 sides but each lottie has their own 'fencing' to keep out bunnies etc, usually a hotch-potch of chicken wire and leftover bits of timber.
No - there is no water via tap, however there is a stream not far and a good rainwater collection contraption so that side of it should be ok, although the next 12 months of growing will soon tell me if there is enough water available.
Regarding the DEFRA certificate - that is something else I would need to look into as I am aware it is required - complicated isn't it!?!?

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 08:51 »
I was told for our lotties that we were able to keep hooved animals however we would need to apply to DEFRA for the correct permits... and as this takes so long, and is such a pain in the bum its not worth the effort to try.... lol  there always used to be pigs on our lotties...in fact my chooks down there are living in the old pig sheds!!

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 19:49 »
I think it sounds fab!  I do seem to recall that pigs don't actually need as much space as you think, the idea being you are feeding them up for meat and the space they need is purely for their comfort not exercise.  Not being an expert, just someone who adores pigs (and bacon!) I know of some pigs who never come out of their sty, so yours will be very lucky and produce some lovely meat.  Brave if you do it but I think you should keep trying and not give up. 
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 17:04 »
I was told for our lotties that we were able to keep hooved animals however we would need to apply to DEFRA for the correct permits... and as this takes so long, and is such a pain in the bum its not worth the effort to try.... lol  there always used to be pigs on our lotties...in fact my chooks down there are living in the old pig sheds!!
Oh that sounds really positive!  I am definately going to start asking the necessary people in the next few weeks and will post the outcome.  Hopefully it will all fall into place ready for next year!?! :)

Jinky_uk

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 21:46 »
I was told for our lotties that we were able to keep hooved animals however we would need to apply to DEFRA for the correct permits... and as this takes so long, and is such a pain in the bum its not worth the effort to try.... lol  there always used to be pigs on our lotties...in fact my chooks down there are living in the old pig sheds!!

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to throw in my tuppen'orth for anyone that finds it on google like i did! I hope you got sorted with the pigs ?

I hear a lot about the 'red tape' but i kept goats a couple of years ago (slightly different to pigs, i realise!!) and it was very straightforward to obtain a CPH (County Parish Holding) number as a 'landless owner', and then its just a matter of keeping on top of movement forms etc,

Contrary to popular belief, DEFRA are there to help, and they will!

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 22:12 »
we are not allowed to keep them on our lottie, but they used to have one during th second world war!  Just hens and small animals, although a pig and maybe a cow to eat the spare grass would be nice...  :happy:
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

xx
G Pigs

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 19:17
by daisy1990
xx
We are getting some pigs.

Started by debih on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 09:12
by gsc
xx
Pigs. Pigs everywhere!!!

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 09:15
by shetan
xx
Guinea pigs

Started by Mulberry1990 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 19:41
by Mulberry1990

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 34 queries.