Wing clipping

• 11 Replies

wadz81

• Experienced Member
Wing clipping
« on: April 14, 2009, 13:35 »
We want to let are girls out round the garden when we're at home, on sunday morning we lifted one corner of the run and let Margo squeeze under it as she needed her bottom cleaning (she found a slug straight away!) She didn't seem bothered about flying off was quite happy tootling round with her slug, if we let them out without clipping their wings are we asking for trouble? :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Wing clipping
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 13:38 »
I think it depends on the individual birds wadz!  Some are more flighty than others.  Our amberlinks were the worst, they used to fly over a 6ft fence until they started to lay, then they calmed down.  Some of the Babcocks used to fly over a 4ft fence, but not all of them.  Quite a few never bothered, too lazy I suppose!!! lol  Don't know about pure breeds though.

The last ones we had never flew over the fence, but it was over 6ft high!

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 14:16 »
I think that must be why Margo didn't bother she's a pootler and happy as log as theres food about! LOL She's my biggest girl doesn't look like much of a flyer :wub:

Debz

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 16:10 »
I have 3 warrens and due to pecking issues I kept one in the greenhouse.  I couldn't understand why I could see a bird flying in the greenhouse until I realised it was the daft chicken.  She would go onto the top shelf and then launch herself off.  The top shelf is taller than me (5'4").  One of my other hens has taken to trying to fly up to the top of the fence (6') so I wouldn't trust my girls to be out without supervision.

jo40

• Experienced Member
wing clipping
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 18:16 »
I am undecided whether i should clip my chickens wings.
I intend to let them free range during the day (when i am at home) once they are setted in. We have a 5 ft fence around our property and have already experienced our Barnevelder almost making it to the top of the coop which is 7ft, so i know escaping is a real possibility. 
i know clipping does not cause any pain but i do have concerns around making them more vulnerable to preditors if i do clip.
I would be grateful of experiences/opinions on this subject, thank you.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: wing clipping
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 18:29 »
Hello Jo,
You are more able to keep an eye on your hens (and any predators), if they are secure in your garden.  However, you would have no control whatsoever if your girls flew over your fences, so I personally reckon wing clipping is worthwhile.
Only clip one wing on each bird - the idea being to unbalance the girls if they attempt to fly.
cathangirl

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 18:44 »
My hens each have a wing clipped; jolly good job, too!  A police helicopter flew over our garden this aft and the two Light Sussex took flight - almost over their fence, bless 'em.
Hang gliders spook them too; they think they are predators and I am always going out to reassure my girls.
cathangirl

jo40

• Experienced Member
Re: wing clipping
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 19:03 »
Thank you cathangirl,
thats kind of how Im thinking. The coop is as secure as we can make it, we've now also covered it after the barnevelders frisky moves!
Our garden is reasonblity safe (the dog seems to have scared the foxes off during the day). However, it is not unusual to see foxes in the field behind and we have a small wood  to the left and a busy road to the front so if they did escape there wouldnt be much hope.

anitaws

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 20:24 »
I clipped our Barnevelders wings for the first time on Sunday.

Its much less difficult than I expected and the girls seemed perfectly fine afterwards.  I think I did it correctly by cutting the first 10 primary feathers to the lengh, without cutting into, the second feathers.  I used my embroidery scisors as I knew they where really sharpe and had no problem with Bob holding each hen in turn.

Two out of the four tried to fly but didn't manage take off afterwards so I was glad I'd done it.

Anita

treecol

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 21:55 »
we clip all our girls wings. We are surrounded by woods and fields so the prospect of getting them back if they flew...well, no chance!! Our fencing is only 4 foot. Just got two new white leghorns today and didn't clip the wing enough, so at dusk, one went up a tree. So we clipped them shorter. We have dogs that live out so preditors aren't an issue, but I'd rather clip and know our girls will stay here.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:57 »
I'm more worried about the light sussex they're very skittish and if a bird flies over they're off so I think that's it wing clipping session at the weekend is there any pictures anywhere so I know we're doing it right? thanks Kim :)

treecol

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:05 »
if you google "clipping chickens wings" you'll get lots of websites. But it is really easy. We're new to keeping chooks and we're worried about doing it but it's a doddle. If you gently hold the bird under one of your arms, with your spare hand, unfold her wing. You'll see about 10 large feathers. I usually check under the wing to see where her flesh starts and clip about an inch out all the way along. With the first three feathers, don't cut too close or they will bleed. As you go further back, you can clip closer. Someone will probably be along to correct me, but this is just my experience with our girls. I think the flightier the breed, the more often you have to check for regrowth, it's surprising, it doesn't take much to give them "lift" !!!!

xx
Wing clipping

Started by babypoogle on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 10:10
by babypoogle
xx
wing clipping

Started by Geo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:51
by Geo
xx
Wing Clipping?

Started by bulliesrus on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 04:24
by hillfooter
xx
clipping a wing

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 18:35
by agingchick

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 35 queries.