New raspberry canes: to prune or not?

• 12 Replies

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
New raspberry canes: to prune or not?
« on: January 27, 2009, 22:06 »
I bought 6 each of summer and autumn fruiting raspberry canes from my local garden centre, who insisted that they would fruit this year. However my RHS book advises pruning each cane to 9-12 inches tall to a bud and forgoing any fruit this summer in order to ensure loads of raspberries next year. :wacko:

Who is right? Are they both right? Are they both wrong? I am hoping the garden centre is at least partialy right as it would be nice to have some raspberries this year.
Organic

Trillium

Re: New raspberry canes: to prune or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 23:00 »
They're both right, so it's your choice what to do. By cropping this year, your plants won't grow as much next year and the harvest will still be low. If you don't crop this year and prune as suggested, you should get very nice crops next year and then on. By pruning this year, you encourage lots of new sprouts to come out and allow the roots to enlarge since valuable nutrients aren't taken by forming a few berries which is all you can hope for this year.
My preference? Prune and be patient for a year.

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 00:28 »
Hey stoatus
How about pruning half then and leaving half.  I wasn't so brave got 1 autumn raspberry canes new the other week, they are about 2ft high..........Anyho pruned one  :nowink: left the rest.  Breaks my heart chucking strawberry runners too, which I haven't had to do yet but I know this years new crop will give me more than I can give away.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:40 »
Thanks for the advice Trillium and I really appreciate the explanation. Does it apply to both Summer and Autumn fruiting varieties?

And Shiela, pruning half and leaving half is a great idea, with two big plusses: 1) Raspberries this year (as promised to nearest and dearest) and 2) An interesting experiment to see how much difference pruning makes.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:01 »
My understanding is that autumn raspberries fruit on the current years' canes and summer raspberries on the previous years' canes. Therefore, for the autumn ones I would definitely cut them right down to the ground now.

I planted new autumn canes in November of 2007 - they were just little stumps. By April 2008 they were sprouting little green shoots. By the summer they were growing lots and lots of new canes and in September I had a huge crop of lovely raspberries from the new canes. The variety was 'Joan J'. I cut all the canes right down to the ground about 3 weeks ago and am presuming that come April the same thing will happen as last year.

At the same time (November 2007) I planted some summer canes. They were also little stumps (probably about 6 or 7 inches above the ground). They also started sprouting from the stumps in April. Over the summer I had a really titchy crop of raspberries growing on the old 'stumps'. However, lots of new, tall canes grew up from and around the old stumps. These didn't fruit. I have left these new, tall canes alone (they are currently bare and leafless and a bit sad looking) as I think these will be the ones that will fruit this summer.

I think Trillium's idea of pruning half of the canes is the way to go with regard to the summer ones. I hope this helps and hasn't confused you further!  :blink:

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09 »
Sorry, that was Sheila's suggestion about the half and half! My brain's a bit addled today!  :wacko:

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 14:21 »
Thanks for the advice on the Autumn canes. I'll prune those and half the Summer ones. - Cheers!

SG6

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 18:31 »
Why not just do what you are supposed to?

Plant the autumn ones and prune now. They should put out new growth and fruit on the new growth. Eat the raspberries.  :)

Plant the summer ones and prune now. They should put on new growth and give no fruit until the following year. :(

Unless the canes on the summer ones are of reasonable length (doubtful) you won't get more then a few raspberries. Normally the canes will be around 6ft long. If they have already been cut to (I guess) 18ins there is little point in expecting fruit. But then again I cannot think that a short cane will really do it any harm. ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 18:36 »
Why not just do what you are supposed to?

That's a bit radicle isn't it? :)

But sound thinking though!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 16:21 »
Stoatus

Further to discussion I emailed the place I got my raspberry canes from Crocus.co.uk to ask what I should do and this was the reply:

The raspberry canes have already been cut back so you do not need to do it again.

Might not apply to all companies.  I had an inkling this was the case.  I did email them when first got them but got no reply this time I did and an apology for not repying first time.  This applies to my Autmn Bliss canes didn't get any others so can't speak for summer ones.  Thank god I did't cut all to ground.

HTH
Sheila

SG6

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 20:03 »
Radical is to throw away the summer fruiting raspberries. :ohmy:
Get some more autumn fruiting ones. :wacko:
Then simply forget the pruning of old canes and keeping new canes. ;)
Prune, grow, eat. Prune, grow, eat. Prune, grow, eat. Prune, grow, eat. :D :D :D

Maybe it is Lazy?
I'll think about it, but slowly, very , very slowly.

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:54 »
Thanks for checking with your supplier Sheila. As my canes were about 18" long and so wouldn't get much fruit on the summer ones I cut them all (summer and autumn) back to 12" to a bud last week. Hopefully this will not have killed them off and I will get some Autumn raspberries this year and summer one next. Fingers crossed.

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 14:53 »
Well lets hope there are loads of smoothies on the way cos I've got a tste for them since chrissie pressie from daughter (of a smoothie machine, or a blender in disguise).
hehe

xx
Raspberry canes available when?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2010, 21:46
by gowing238
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 15:42
by sclarke624
xx
raspberry canes

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 15:38
by Dave Hampsey
xx
raspberry canes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 20:57
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 32 queries.