Creating a lawn

• 4 Replies

FCG

Creating a lawn
« on: September 14, 2008, 21:58 »
What are your top tips? I need to re lawn my garden after it being destroyed by chickens. It was mostly weed leaves, so that's the reason it's gone bald. I have a 75l bag of compost and hard wearing seed added with rye grass. Anything else i need?

poultrygeist

Creating a lawn
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 22:31 »
Yes. You need to put the seed on the ground and it grows  :lol:

Sorry  :oops:  :roll:

I'll fetch me coat  :(

Rob

poultrygeist

Creating a lawn
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41 »
Mike, how long do you plan to keep the chooks off the area ?

Or are you going to rotate ? ie. regrow one section while they the next and then swap.

It may be that the grass will grow back on its own if you leave it.

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

Creating a lawn
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:50 »
My ducks also destroyed my lawn last winter with the wet weather and are half way to doing it again with the constant rain. I fenced it off from them and fitted in the holes with lawn dressing/top soil stuff and then threw grass seed at it all and voila!

Looks like I may be doing the same again next year if the weather doesn't improve just a bit! I am going to fence them off in the veg patch one I have finished harvesting and they will run there overwinter, fertilizing the patch for next year and resting the "lawn" but at this rate its going to be too late and will have to reseed again :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

FCG

Creating a lawn
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 21:36 »
They have a 3m x 3m run so 6m2 run will do them over winter. The plan is to grow the grass in the garden while they have fun in the run. Then let them destroy the grass in the garden over summer while they are kept out of the run while the grass there regrows.

I constantly put greens and soil and regularly dig up the run so they have plenty of fun in it. I just have to nip their wings to stop the bigger chooks (Tarbuck & Susie) jumping out.

The major problem was one big bit of the lawn was in nearly constant shade (except in the morning) and it got covered in daisy leaves and moss. That got torn up pretty sharpish, plus why i'm trying to take the initiative about fixing it up nice (also it's to placate the matriarch/battleaxe).

xx
Creating a wildflower patch

Started by drypulse on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:41
by drypulse
xx
Creating pretty baskets

Started by RJR_38 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 21:34
by RJR_38
xx
New Lawn

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:41
by clarkey95
xx
My new lawn

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2019, 18:33
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 34 queries.