Mycolplsma

• 5 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Mycolplsma
« on: August 15, 2008, 18:00 »
Hi

I am trying to get some inforamtion for my dad, he took one of his 3 hens to the vet and he has been given some powders.  They had cold like symptoms with snotty noses and bad coughs.  My dad didnt understand anything at the vets so had no idea what the diagnosis was so i have rung the practice and spoke to a receptionist who read out the vets notes on the hen.

Mycoplasma was diagnosed and Tylan prescribed.

If no-ne can help me here then i will have to try to speak to the vet directly, we want to know how the birds got this - quite likely that the 4 new hens were carriers and passed it over during stress.  Dad said he had a few visits from a rat and wondered if that may have brought something in.

Do i understand correctly that now the hens have it provided they get over this they will always be carriers and during any stressful times the symptoms will come back, are they also now more susseptable to infections?

Presumably he now cannot add to his hens as they would automatically contract it/ pass it over?

The hens haven't picked up hugely and dad still fears he may loose them, if he were to loose them can he disinfect to enusre any new birds wouldnt get it?

Sorry for all the questions please help were you think you can and the rest of the information i will have to search the net for.

I wish i'd have gone to the vets with him as i used to work for a vet and understand some of there jargon, but with 2 young children it just wasn't an option.

Thanks for any help

agapanthus

Mycolplsma
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 18:59 »
It's an infectious disease spread from bird to bird by sneezing and in the drinking water. It can also be transmitted through eggs. As I understand it some birds can be totally immune. It is also best not to breed from these birds. Tylan soluable together with Terramycin or Aureomycin sometimes only supress the diease, which can recur.
I once had to treat one of my birds and luckily it did'nt spread and she did'nt have any more problems.
I'm not sure if they will always be carriers, but am certain that if the area is disinfected very well with Jeyes then there should be any risk of it spreading. Hope this helps :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Mycolplsma
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 19:38 »
Birds that recover from mycoplasma can remain infected for life and stress can cause a recurrence of the disease.

Mycoplasma will only servive a few days in dust, but can be spread during that time. So keep dust down !

(My first job in a lab when I left school - ages ago - was in mycoplasma research, trying to find out what its antigens were made of.  How little we knew about it then!)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Mycolplsma
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 19:39 »
I saw an article about Mycoplasma in a magazine but for the life of me can't remember which one it was.

If I find it I will post again.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Mycolplsma
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 19:45 »
Just found this site that may be of help to you.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/index.php

Daisycow

Mycolplsma
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 20:57 »
One of ours has mycoplasma, she has had two bouts of it, the last time was ages ago. No idea how she got it though  :roll: . My understanding is that it can be bought on by stress. My vet gave us extra treatment (I forget what it is now, looks like a bran type powder substance) for if she shows symptoms again, and touch wood, she's been fine. The other 2 got treated while she was being treated as they all eat from the same feeder. Since she first showed symptoms we have added another 6 chooks to the flock and they all seem to be ok, this we checked would be ok with the vet.
When were your dads chooks diagnosed? If I remember correctly it takes a couple of days to take effect. I hope they get better..might be worth double checking the dosage advised??

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 36 queries.