High altitude - Please help - I'm new!

• 12 Replies

V3G3TABL3

« on: August 10, 2008, 11:28 »
Hi all,

My proposed patch is in our garden - but I live 300m above sea level (courtesy of google maps) - Will I be able to grow veg at this height? If so what will survive? Please help

I have trawled through many posts but now given up and decided to post my own - in the hope that someone will kindly help me out.

Thanks

SalJ1980

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34 »
Hi V3G3TABL3 and welcome to the forums.

That's a very interesting question, and I'm afraid I don't know the answer! My plot is at 150m, and I have friends over in the next valley whose community garden is higher than mine, and we have no problems. I should think it would be fine...give it a go and find out!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34 »
Hi & welcome.

The altitude alone, when talking about 300m,  has little bearing on how veg will grow, but any associated exposure to high winds etc. obviously will.

I hate to ask it, but is wind your problem :?:  :oops:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

V3G3TABL3

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:00 »
DD - Yes, were almost on the tops of the moors - so really windy at times but the garden wall and a proposed fence will hopefully help!?? What should I test first??

Sal - You echo my thoughts - give it a whirl eh!!

Thanks for replying by the way :)

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:01 »
Hiya V3G3TABL3, welcome to the forums, you'll find so much help and advice here, and you'll also find they're a lovely bunch of people too.
Anyhow, as already advised, wind will probabaly be your major enemy...but at that altitude, you might get a bit lightheaded, so don't do too much at once. I prescribe a few sarnies and a flask of tea.

V3G3TABL3

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 17:31 »
So if I manage to conquer the wind - what should I plant first? any tips???  :?

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 17:40 »
This time of year, you're still good to sow radishes (nice and low !) and you might get away with other salad stuff, if the weather warms up a bit. Also you can get some late carrots in, and I think swede and turnip too
Otherwise, get some winter lettuce in, and I think you should still be OK for brussels and broccoli, if you can get plants from a nursery or garden centre. Get some cabbages in too.
Any beds you have ready, but empty - plant some green manure to dig in in the Spring. Theres a load of problems with aminopyralids getting into horse muck at the moment, so I'd steer clear if I was you (loads of posts about it on the forums)
Also have a think about what soft fruit you want, cos I think autumn might be the time to plant those...but I am only a novice, so double check  :)
The other thing you can get busy with, is reading seed catalogues and planning your plot for next year...oh yeah, and enjoy it  :)

Novice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 17:41 »
Whoops, forgot to say - chat to your neighbours and see what they're up to..by and large, allotment people are only too pleased to give help and advice..

V3G3TABL3

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 17:54 »
Fantastic - i'll get busy!  thanks Novice - and yes - i'll start planning next years patch. Cheers for the help  :)

lincspoacher

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 20:44 »
ive been growing all sorts in pots and growbags ths year in the back garden and im 180m above sea level.

If global warming ever makes the sea rise to my back door, it will also be washing round the roof eaves of Lincoln Cathedral...........and you'll need a diving bell to get served in Woolworths..........

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 21:42 »
Hopefully at that altitude, once you get your windbreak sorted, you should have lovely blight free tomatoes and potatoes, as the blight virus thingy can't survive at high altitudes, but at the moment the precise height escapes me.

You will find though that seed potatoes always seem to come from the highlands or somewhere or other!!!!  They originated from the high Andes :D

agapanthus

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 21:46 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Hopefully at that altitude, once you get your windbreak sorted, you should have lovely blight free tomatoes and potatoes, as the blight virus thingy can't survive at high altitudes, but at the moment the precise height escapes me.

You will find though that seed potatoes always seem to come from the highlands or somewhere or other!!!!  They originated from the high Andes   :D

That's right Annie!....we're about 200ft above and we get some terrible winds....but no blight so far!! ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 22:11 »
WOW Aggy, you mean I said some right for a change?????

AWESOME!!!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
High Altitude gardening

Started by Catbellina on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2021, 11:17
by Catbellina
xx
Low altitude carrot fly?

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:30
by Ivor Backache
xx
Broad bean advice (at altitude!)

Started by owein on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 10:54
by sunshineband
xx
how high

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 00:04
by billathome65

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 28 queries.