Chicken/hen noise

• 8 Replies

nottage

Chicken/hen noise
« on: June 15, 2008, 16:52 »
We are considering keeping chickens at home. We live in a typical suburban new built house  with a 40 foot garden. Our garden is sided by other houses. Our only concern is the chickens annoying our neighbours with noise. We have no intention of keeping a cockerel, only hens. Advice and opinions please.
Pete & Claire

Nats

Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 17:17 »
Hi there, they make very little noise.

A few happy clucks when you let them out in the morning, even happier clucks when you give them a treat and if something scares them then they will make a louder cluck. The happy clucks are quiet and nice to listen to.

They make less noise than my neighbour's dog, stereo and teenagers playing guitar!

violet

• Experienced Member
Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 18:11 »
Ours make a sort of quiet chucking noise...but when the lay they are quite vocal....especially the little bantam!  Certainly no worse than any other noise you might have from a neighbours garden and many people comment on what a nice noise it is....

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:55 »
I'd mostly agree with the above.  Mostly ours make a lovely sound and our neighbours have commented on what a lovely sound it is.

But every now and then they make a huge racket.  It's usually because a cat has come in the garden or because the sky is falling!  :shock: .

We've been away for the weekend and it's like having kids because it's payback time today.  I'm having to go out there every 5 minutes to tell them to be quiet.  Either it's cos one is missing (it's gone in to lay) or because there's a pigeon on the lawn.  They're driving me bonkers! :roll:

Wildeone

Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:39 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
I'd mostly agree with the above.  Mostly ours make a lovely sound and our neighbours have commented on what a lovely sound it is.

But every now and then they make a huge racket.  It's usually because a cat has come in the garden or because the sky is falling!  :shock: .

We've been away for the weekend and it's like having kids because it's payback time today.  I'm having to go out there every 5 minutes to tell them to be quiet.  Either it's cos one is missing (it's gone in to lay) or because there's a pigeon on the lawn.  They're driving me bonkers! :roll:
mine are really loud some days and quiet the next but i've noticed they do not like it if the kitchen window is open  :roll:  They can hear me chatting and get all excited that a treat or a few greens are on the way!  :roll:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

compostqueen

Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 14:59 »
mine are quiet but one hen was cross with me the other day as I started cleaning them out and I quite forgot that she'd not laid. She soon reminded me, the racket (right in my ear'ole was ear splitting).  I threw everything back together and hightailed it out of there

She was as quiet as a mouse after that. It was my own fault for upsetting her routine and I shan't do it again  :D  Bless em

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 21:26 »
Hiya, we live in a similar area, weve got chickens and they do make some noise but its far nicer than barking dogs and boy racers reving their engines so go for it.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 21:43 »
Hi there, I have 3 hens on the garden, they don't make an aweful lot of noise, only if spooked by something.  So long as you don't get a cockerel!
Neighbours probably won't notice them anyway, they are a lot quieter than a dog.  I love the quiet noises they make, really soothing I think.

dawnsmith

Chicken/hen noise
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 22:14 »
I live on an estate. I have neighbours very close.
My chooks are fairly vocal in the morning when they want to be let out of their house. I used to worry about it, but I figured they don't make as much noise in the morning as the local wood pidgeon. And they definately never make as much noise as the neighbours children  :D And do you know what?... the neighbours children haven't laid an egg yet!!  :D
Dawn
x

xx
Chicken noise

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2018, 14:48
by 8doubles
xx
Law regarding chicken noise

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

59 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 15:21
by pepsi100
xx
strange noise - escaped chicken???

Started by babe on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:20
by muntjac
xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 32 queries.