Lovely Pergola coverage..

• 14 Replies

puravida

• Experienced Member
« on: May 18, 2008, 20:42 »
Went out for a great lunch today and saw this fabulous pergola coverage. I'm guessing it is a mix of Wisteria and grape vines.

I'd love to replicate this on a pergola I built last year but don't really want to have to wait 5 years!

Any suggestions what to plant???

Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 21:07 »
the golden hop on there grows very quickly

gobs

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 21:28 »
Yep, that's hop, not grape and that's the one you don't need to wait for, skipping the wait, skip the wisteria. :lol:  Not long though if you get a cutting, just 2-3 years, whilst it establishes, if fooled with a seedling, that's about a decade to flowers. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

puravida

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 21:31 »
Oh great - thanks you two.
Is now a suitable time to put some golden hops in the ground then?? Woudl I get much growth this year?

We're only planning to be in this house another 12 months or so and therefore a bit reluctant to plant longer term plants.

I do love Wisteria though - so pretty.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 22:48 »
If you buy plants now, yes,  will get mileage of growth, joking, but nearly. :lol:

The wisteria will do fine in a large container/planting box until you move, so will a load of stuff. :wink:

Also can move all of them out of ground if and when you need to. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:56 »
avoid the Russian Vine thing. It goes a mile a minute but it's vile and a pest!

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 15:11 »
whilst you are waiting for wisteria etc to grow (and it is worth the wait for wisteria) try some annual morning glory. (convulvulus) dead easy to germinate and grow. Just a few will grow and cover everything within sight  in a flash and you will get masses of new flowers every day.You can get them in all sort sof colours now and you may just be in time to sow a few. I did some very late a couple of years ago and they flowered through till November

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 15:21 »
Honeysuckle is always nice and grows quickly. Not a lot of cover but nice smell and attracts insects.

The golden hop is wonderful. We had one long ago but left it behind  :(

Post photos when you have it planted up.

Rob

Vember

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 16:08 »
evergreen Clemitis are nice too and don't take as long to cover :)

JudyAnn

Wisteria
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 20:45 »
My wisteria is the saddest thing you laid eyes on.  It must have been a seedling--been in the ground 6 or 7 years now.  Should I be putting some heavy duty fertilizer on it or something?

gobs

Re: Wisteria
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 20:53 »
Quote from: "JudyAnn"
My wisteria is the saddest thing you laid eyes on.  It must have been a seedling--been in the ground 6 or 7 years now.  Should I be putting some heavy duty fertilizer on it or something?

Unless your soil is very poor, no. It is pea family, happily gets by, over fertilising can reduce flowering.

Seedlings start to flower from 8 years on, so you might be in for next year, don't expect much blossom though in the first 2 years of flowering, after that, you enjoy.

That's I suppose you are in a rather warm climate area. But I'm not certain of that, in cooler places needs to be planted south facing for a wealth of flowers.

JudyAnn

Temps
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 15:59 »
In the summer temps are normally in the Hi 80*F to in the low 100*F area, with humidity.  The last couple years my wisteria foliage has started only to be hit with frost which kills it all off and it has to start again.  Would that have something to do with it too?

gobs

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 21:35 »
Not in the sense of not having flower buds, which turn open much earlier than foliage, so if you get frozen foliage, it's more than likely you will get frozen flower buds as and when they come along. :shock:  :(

Easterly facing is worse in tis respect.

JudyAnn

Thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 15:20 »
So the flowers come on before the foliage--so I may never have flowers at this rate?  I don't know whether to leave it or dig it out now.  
  Thanks for the advice!!

gobs

Re: Thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 18:32 »
Quote from: "JudyAnn"
So the flowers come on before the foliage--so I may never have flowers at this rate?  I don't know whether to leave it or dig it out now.  
  Thanks for the advice!!

I'd leave it, it can happen on the off chance, but we all get spring frosts only sometimes losing blossom to it, besides, on a hot summer established plants quite often flower again in the fall.

xx
New Pergola

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 21:27
by Hey Jude
xx
sweet pea pergola

Started by gardener247 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 18:12
by DavidT
xx
tips for growing up pergola posts?

Started by puravida on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 16:29
by CJ
xx
Two lovely shrubs from my front border... but what are they?

Started by boogaloo on General Gardening

27 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 11:24
by GYO Girl

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 28 queries.