More than one rooster and introducing a smaller pullet

• 5 Replies

brucebabes

« on: December 20, 2006, 12:32 »
Hello.  I have 2 Minorka pullets and a mongrel pullet, I also have a Minorka cockreal and an Ancona cockreal.  I was wondering is it ok to keep 2 roosters.  They don't fight at all and get on really well.  There names are Frank, Rex, Sandy, Mac and Deloras.  They have full use of my acre gardens but generally love to sleep in my fernery during the day or on my verandah.  They love being massaged, especially under their necks.  If I could keep them all that would be great.
My other problem is we got a new little Ancona pullet (approx 6 weeks old) and the 'girls' don't seem fussed by her but the boys attacked her instantly.  Now I don't know much but I am assuming they were trying to mate with her. Their neck feathers went all up and they pounced on her. I put her in the pen during the day while the others are out and about and then keep her inside with us at night.  I am worried the boys might hurt her.  What should I do???  Is it OK to interbreed them also.  SORRY I KNOW IT'S ALOT OF QUESTIONS AND THANKYOU
AFTER 18 YEARS WITH MY BEST FRIEND 'MUSS' WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT A CHICKEN CALLED WHIZZ WOULD EASE MY PAIN.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:52 »
if you have a bird that young and new to the coop they will beat her up badly keep her segregated but able to see and be seen by the other birds evwery time you remove the bird from the rest the process starts again
 :D  if the area is big enough for the 2 cocks then dont worry until spring  :wink: then keep an eye on things ,, small birds dont need to be trod by bigger cockerals as the result is dead small birds ,birds of equal sizes are ok dont worry about the interbreeding in a back yard flock unless you intend to sell pedigree birds
still alive /............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:57 »
The 6 week pullet is very young to mix with the rest of the flock, I would separate her, but make sure the others can see her and get used to her .  I dont usually mix mine until approx 18 weeks (and i never put one new one in alone - always at least two.... that way the y have another newcomer to bond with.  Dont worry about inerbreeding - unless you want purebreeds or are showing.
Starting from scratch............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:58 »
oops - can see muntjac already answered this expertly ...  

:lol:  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 13:02 »
not to worry sorrel , nice to have you agre with me  :wink:

brucebabes

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 03:55 »
Thankyou sooooo much.  I will try this out. :D

xx
pullet or roo

Started by kaz1510 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:21
by kaz1510
xx
Unwell Pullet

Started by goose 68 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 20:22
by poultrygeist
xx
VERY ODD, poorly pullet.

Started by featherhead on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 20:07
by New shoot
xx
Sickly Pullet

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 10:28
by muntjac

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.