Making a brooder box

• 31 Replies

muntjac

Making a brooder box
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 21:42 »
no ,, there is no point it just makes them a target for nosey chicks .you hear tales about not putting chicks on hay and all that rubbish but they have been running around on grass etc for centuries so that another bit of misinformation that i am trying to get stopped , just let them be  you will know whether to cull it or not . i have had people argue that they should be gased drowned etc these people are blooming idiots .gassing involves a chick panting and gasping to breath as its dying ,it has to realise that its been tortured as does drowning, the chick has a skull like tissue paper until about 6 weeks of age then it sets hard.when you crush it as i do then its dead in a nano second ,no discernable pain ,i know we have to kill animals for our food etc but to inflict unneccasry pain in the proces is pathetic
still alive /............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 11:01 »
I use a Chicktec smart automatic incubator.    For the humidity (i am cautious) as the egg must lose 13% of its weight during incubation and most of this weight is water loss, giving room for the chick to move around in the shell prior to hatching.

I instead I dont add water until day 18 , but I do put the incubator in a room that is a constant temperature.    I am by no means an expert though, just read loads and often use gut instinct

http://www.poultryclub.org/ACHatch.htm     - this site has good info.

Oh and I'm working on the pics of my chicks (will have to ask John) as even Muntjac has struggled to convert my pics to PC language thingy
Starting from scratch............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:08 »
We did make a homemade brooder (or at least my better half did), which was great for the first 4 weeks, but then was a bit small (and also not very practical as it was in the utility room and the chicks were NOISY and kept escaping) and one of the chicks kept flying to the rim and roosting (was so cute).    

At 4 weeks we moved them into and old coop (in the shed) and they now have much more space and are growing well.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 20:13 »
Sorrel, have you ever had to cull any chicks?

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 20:14 »
Karl, what type of IR bulb do you use in your heat lamp, white or red?  Does it make any difference?

muntjac

Making a brooder box
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 20:24 »
60 watt house bulb , no reason for fancy stuff mate feel the heat of a one  :wink:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
chick update
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 21:08 »
3 leghorn and 3 silkie eggs are looking good.  Can see peeps in leghorn eggs.  Just thought I'd let you know fellow hatchers.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Got brooder set up, Karl - as advised.  Thanks.

muntjac

Making a brooder box
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 21:23 »
what due date are they mate ?

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 22:32 »
Leghorns due 3rd Jan, and silkies 11th.

Can't see anything in leghorns today, just black sadly.  I think they are finished!  Can see 2 definites in silkie eggs though - veins and peeps.  Fingers crossed.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
update
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 20:59 »
3 leghorns (crosses I think?) hatched yesterday.  Cute little things.  Going to try and add a picture soon.  Can anyone advise me how to upload please?  Ta.

muntjac

Making a brooder box
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 21:03 »
here ya go monty mate ...scroll down and its all there

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1522&highlight=photobucket

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 13:37 »
Not had to cull any yet Monty, however I am thinking two of my chicks are male (still not sure), so I'm afraid they will have to go.

Putting another 10 in incubator tonight (I know its wrong time of year really ... but fingers crossed).

muntjac

Making a brooder box
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 13:45 »
dont cull them yet wait till they stat to crow .then cull save ur self a meal then sorrel x :wink: pouson?

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Making a brooder box
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2007, 13:51 »
not going to cull yet, Karl.  Got to get the nerves up (as these are my first chick babies and gonna have a good weep).

however the reason i think 2 are male, they appear to be growing tiny spurs?    I am also concerned that if 2 are male, it will leave one chick alone for a number of weeks until she is big enough to join the flock!  they are all eight weeks old today.

muntjac

Making a brooder box
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 13:59 »
dont worry about it hon till they get to 16 weeks or so then you can have em for dinner if needed , oh and not all cocks have spurs and some hens do lol

xx
Why brooder?

Started by Alec Powell on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 20:01
by joyfull
xx
How much to run gas brooder

Started by poppies on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:34
by poppies
xx
Chicks in Brooder

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 13:06
by Prod
xx
I think my brooder is too small!

Started by t161tanya161 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 11:44
by t161tanya161

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 35 queries.