lilac

• 2 Replies

chrissie B

lilac
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:54 »
dose any one know how to take cuttings from a lilac bush , Ive got a nice one in the yard but its on the fence and next door seems to get the best of it , and its not the done thing to drag it back if you know what i mean .
any ideas
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

gobs

lilac
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 15:11 »
You can propagate lilac any whichever way you like. Can take heeled soft wood cuttings in spring, keep them moist, best to do in the morning and soak the bush the night before. Just pull of a few of last years' shoots, c 3-6 inches long you try to find, have your pot or better a plastic bag of moist send or sterile compost ready, stick them in and keep moist, in a warm but not too sunny place. You can see the roots this way, once about an inch, can plant them on.

You can also layer them, which is less of a hassle, bend a new shoot down, peel off bark at bottom and bury.

Cuttings can take very looooong even a year or more, that's why most people go wrong with them IMO, they think it's dead.

The easiest fastest thing though is to look for suckers, dig them up there will be already roots, so just plant and water. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chrissie B

lilac
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:05 »
thanks gobs will try one of those , its such a lovley bush i want to spread it around abit
chrissie b

xx
Lilac!

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 18:15
by mumofstig
clip
Lilac help please.....

Started by sunnywillow on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2020, 15:35
by sunnywillow
xx
Lilac?

Started by Lily on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 20:53
by gobs
clip
The Lilac and the Magnolia - ...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2023, 08:32
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 32 queries.