Raspberries

• 33 Replies

sanuka

Raspberries
« on: March 10, 2008, 21:26 »
I'd like to grow autumn bliss raspberries - I plan to have one row of 10. How much space do i need to leave either side of them before growing other plants? I've read 6ft between rows but does this apply only if they are rows of raspberries?

Also the book I have says to dig the trench a month in advance - is this really necessary? If so I may have run out of time for them.

It also says the yield of autumn ones is much lower than summer ones (1.5lb to 4.5lb per yard) - does anyone grow both and know if this is the case? I may reconsider which type i buy.

thanks for listening :)

Martin

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 21:33 »
They send out runners, so that over a few years you will get a lot more plants. So if you want to keep a narrow row, just hoe out the new shoots you don't want as they come up in late winter/early spring.
Martin

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 21:38 »
It is a nonsense about the yield and the trench. Also about the six feet between rows.

You can plant anything within a thin paths distance, say a couple of feet away, or so.

Yield will be bountiful on autumn raspberries, usually better than on summer ones and you can just plant them, no trenches or any gimmicks required.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 21:41 »
They grow 'suckers', new shoots from the base, you need to keep 4-6 of those, they'll be next fruit as old canes don't produce.

You cut autumn raspberries down to about an inch above ground level in the winter up till Feb, they will will fruit on canes produced the same growing season.

gus

raspberries
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 21:41 »
autumn bliss are the best tasting variety and i was still gathering in early december from a sheltered spot.
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "gobs"
It is a nonsense about the yield and the trench. Also about the six feet between rows.

You can plant anything within a thin paths distance, say a couple of feet away, or so.

Really ?  Is that true for other plants ?  I have my tayberries with 3 feet distance between them which I am really worried is not enough space.

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 21:55 »
Quote from: "londongardener"

Really ?  Is that true for other plants ?  I have my tayberries with 3 feet distance between them which I am really worried is not enough space.

No, that's for raspberries, tay-, logan- and blackberries need a lot more space, depending on variety, that said, not actually to grow, but for growth being manageable for the gardener.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 22:13 »
Quote from: "londongardener"

No, that's for raspberries, tay-, logan- and blackberries need a lot more space, depending on variety, that said, not actually to grow, but for growth being manageable for the gardener.

Is that because they get bigger every year ?

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 22:16 »
No, they just are bigger. ( than raspberries)

That anyway, wasn't about between plants but row to other planting.

sanuka

Raspberries
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 23:02 »
Thanks, that's just what i was hoping to hear.  Should i start with less than 10 then too? If they grow suckers so quickly I mean. The plot is just 12 foot wide but i was hoping for as many raspberries as possible :)

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 23:10 »
Ten are bare minimum, if you like them as us. :And then you multiply as you need to. :wink:

Trillium

Raspberries
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 02:38 »
Tayberries we get here have wicked thorns so you don't want rows of them planted too closely if you value your skin and backs.

I spaced my raspberry rows about 3 ft (1M) apart only because it was all the space I had. They'll sucker out into the rows which makes rotovating them for weed control difficult as I usually dig up the suckers and move them to thinned out spots or where some simply died for whatever reason.
Enough row width also makes it easier to bring in the wheelbarrow with manure, mulch, whatever, a lot easier.
I usually start out with a dozen plants of 3 different varieties and see which does the best in my garden. The hardiest and best producers eventually get sucker plants moved into the loser positions.

puravida

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:48 »
Is it right that if you plant this year, you'll not get fruit until next year?
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:22 »
Quote from: "puravida"
Is it right that if you plant this year, you'll not get fruit until next year?

You will get fruit from Autumn raspberries but not Summer.

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
Raspberries
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 08:41 »
I tried planting mine through weed control fabric, to stop the runners plus no weeds. Planted mine about 30" apart from each other. If one of them snuffs it, i`ll just replace.
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

xx
Raspberries - what to do?

Started by Libby on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 13:20
by Libby
xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2024, 09:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Raspberries

Started by debbiedoll on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:27
by tode
xx
Raspberries

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 13:12
by JayG

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 32 queries.