Spent mushroom compost

• 12 Replies

RichardA

Spent mushroom compost
« on: March 04, 2008, 16:43 »
I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I ask something asked before by someone else.
I have on offer a quantity of spent mushroom compost and because my land is light loam (as well as having other priorities) I have not yet dug any of my plots. Can anyone advise for preference what crops should Ii dedicate the spent mushroom compost to and which should I use my own general garden compost on.
I guess the other question is what should I use neither on.

agapanthus

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 17:43 »
Gosh you get some good stuff don't you?,,,,,slabs and mushroom compost!! ;) Personally I would just use it as a general soil improver all over the garden. :)

RichardA

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 21:27 »
The old slabs were a product of replacing a  patio, the new slabs all came on pallets - guess who got the pallets -- just how lucky can one man get !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
The mushroom compost came about by doing some one a favour and then declining any payment but the payback was an offer I could not refuse :lol:

muntjac

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 22:05 »
nice one  :wink:  :wink:
still alive /............

noshed

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 23:17 »
Just watch out for the earthquakes
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:41 »
Mushroom compost is normally quite alkaline so good for your brassicas. would not use it anywhere else.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

stormin

Mushroom Compost - Fantastic Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 18:46 »
Mushroom compost is ideal for your vegetable and fruit patch. With the exception of potatoes, mushroom compost is the perfect  accompaniment to your brassicas (broccoli, brussel sprouts, swedes, turnips, cabbages, kale and cauliflower), beans, tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, cucumbers, sweetcorn, lettuce and spring onions. Likewise, all your fruits, particularly  your strawberries, blackcurrents, gooseberries etc and your roses.

BUT it is not advisable to use mushroom compost on your prized ericaceous acid loving, lime-hating plants such as Azaleas,             Heathers, Ericas, Magnolias and Rhododendrons or on your potential potato crop.

RichardA

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 19:04 »
Not sure if it is the done thing to take up space with thanks (some discussion forums dont like it) but I would like to say thanks for all responses. Much appreciated. Have a good weekend
R

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 19:19 »
Quote from: "RichardA"
Not sure if it is the done thing to take up space with thanks (some discussion forums dont like it) but I would like to say thanks for all responses. Much appreciated. Have a good weekend
R

cant see it being a problem mate, we normally go straight of subject for a couple of weeks before answering the original question, this is what makes this forum so good, no one cares. Glad we could help. Anyways, back to the gravy on chips, where were we upto  :lol:

wurzelrob70

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 21:47 »
Oh Dear!!! Acquired some mushroom compost today and put a layer in the first early potato trench before planting. Have now read this post and am worried. Will this be terribly bad for my spuds & what should I do?
Any help would be appreciated.
Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's empty, and so is your head.

Cazzy

Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Quote from: "RichardA"
R

cant see it being a problem mate, we normally go straight of subject for a couple of weeks before answering the original question, this is what makes this forum so good, no one cares. Glad we could help. Anyways, back to the gravy on chips, where were we upto  :lol:

*Breaths a sigh of relief*  I have on occasion been slapped on the wrist and called the off topic queen of many a music forum, nice to relax in here now
 :)

Anyway to go back to this mushroom compost, i'll need to go do some research, I remember reading a bit about it recently but have so much new info in my head with all this plant/ing teminology I forget why its different to other composts
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 17:49 »
Mushroom compost often has lime added to it, this can cause scab in potatoes. On everything else though it works wonders. I BUY two carloads each year and spread it on the half of the plot that gets used for beans and brassicas. Then the potatoes follow on the next year. Seems to work
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

marion

Re: Spent mushroom compost
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07 »
I just mixed 2 bags in to my raised bed and planted potatoes yesterday which I then coved to keep the frost out, should I now pull the potatoes out

thanks

marion

xx
Spent Mushroom Compost

Started by Tristan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 09:23
by bazh
xx
Spent Mushroom Compost

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 21:15
by Trillium
xx
Spent mushroom compost needed

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 17:03
by andy135
xx
Spent mushroom compost on my potato beds

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2022, 21:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 34 queries.